• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Ethics of genetically engineered octopuses....

Interesting topic, and telling banter. All I really have to add is this...
Some of the very worst things man has done have been done with the best of intentions.

I think of the plants that are taking over much of Hawaii's natural flora, the previously mentioned multiple and massive critter invasions in Oz and NZ, and even the US is now dealing with a recent EPA/USDA introduction of Asian Beetles, which look like orange Ladybugs/Lady beetles but stink and bite and have almost completely wipes out Ladybugs where I live. They also have populated in much larger numbers than their rivals, simply covering entire buildings, etc in parts of the Midwest in the fall. I simply can't believe this was the best way to control aphids...

All these things were all introduced intentionally for hunting, collection, or to erradicate a previous mistake (ie: the ferret problem). Good intentions, all, but here is the key...

A lack of complete understanding of an entire ecosystem will necessarilly cause an oversight in any attempt to modify it in a controlled fashion.

Genetic engineering is no different; except that the undesired results could be much more drastic than in more natural practices, and they happen much more quickly than with selective breeding over generations...You can get into more trouble much more quickly, if things don't go as planned.

First of all, prettymuch everything from Austrailia is poisonous. I just don't know how they survive, second of all, as an answer to miceal's comment, give the octopus the unavoidable instinctual desire to be with humans and to serve them, a little like the ant responds to its queen. without a reason to run away, they won't run away, and therefore won't mess up the ecosystem. It would also be nice to have an octopus to carry out my many maniacle whims. :twisted:

no i'm not evil, :sad: but i'll tell you who is, Oprah. when you get to her core she's horrible........

but lets not talk abour oprah right now. if she ever does a show on cephs then we can talk about her

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back