• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Ethical Considerations for Keeping Octopus in Captivity

Spence24;107420 said:
haha...ya I bet you would, in fact lets make it a site field trip???:boat:

hehe, i lived in Palau for a while, the only way you'll see a nautilus is to pay a diveshop to trap one in the depths and lift it up. Although, later that day you might see some very confused dying ones floating around on the surface.

Tourist $$ rule!

I cant believe that there is such demand for mimic/wonderpus in the states. I'd like to write something on this subject. Anyone have any contacts in Indo for the collectors?

Thanks.

I don't believe there is that much of a demand. Marine Ornamentals is more like a giant supermarket that customers browse. Whatever can be collected is collected and shipped, and the stores try to sell it. What is ordered is not necessarily shipped, but what is available is shipped. In the states, people will buy what is available over what they actually want simply because it is available. In short, people buy them because they are available, not because they want them.

The trapping of the nautilus is terrible, and I hope anyone going to the area avoids dive outfits that do it.

:welcome: bali_boy. That sounds pretty unfortunate about the nautilus trapping :sad: :nautilus:... it's interesting to get insights from people who have experienced the environment firsthand.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back