Eric's market adventure(s)

Eric's market Adventure(s) is a thread which will be used to identify cephs, fish and other cute fishy animals that shoe up in HK's wet markets:

I need identifications on 2 bob tail squids!
Oh and I released a octo near the harbor while a rather mean looking fishing boat was about to dock...they had nets ready to get my octo so that they can use it as bait for catching large groupers. Fortunatly, the octo went into the water quicker than I expected and sprayed the evil fisherman with ink as a final farewell...
Pics beloew are the same squid and will be refered to be as Squid 1.

Attachments

• conv_302142.jpg
    conv_302142.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 154
  • conv_302143.jpg
    conv_302143.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 115
  • conv_302144.jpg
    conv_302144.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 118
Q:I have heard that live squid is very hard to keep, but I see them on the Atoll Reef Aquarium display, would you be so kind to tell me do you change a new batch or you have a secret way of keeping them?

A:biggrin2:ear Eric,

Thank you for your email and interest in our aquarium animals.

Our sources of the squid on display including :-
1) Captive breeding
2) Buying squid from local fisherman
3) Collecting from the field

The so-called secret is right food and suitable environment --- Live Mysis anddarkened environment of the holding tank in order to prevent the new born from colliding with the surrounding.

Q:I would also like to know how long the squid would survive in the water tank. Also, which species do you display, or do you display random species you could find? Do the squid feed on live Mysis all their lives or do they change their diet as they grow up?

A:Life span varies amongst different species. With Sepiotenthis lessoniana which we keep, breed and display in exhibit, life span is around a year or less in captivity. Apart from Mysis, we vary their diets and feed different kinds of shrimps and fishes according to their needs as they grow.
Hope the above information helps.

The above is from another thread about Sepiotenthis lessoniana .

Hi Chrono,

I've had a look at Mark Norman's 'Cephalopods of the World' guide which states that many of the Bobtail Squids (Sepiolidae) are only identifiable by specific arm and sucker modifications in the males, females being even harder to identify. I don't think your pictures, great as they are, are detailed enough in such diagnostic features for anyone to attain a positive ID. There are 15 genera and over 50 species of Bobtail to plough through to find them.

I'd guess that that your squids are possibly some species of Euprymna, but are NOT Heteroteuthis or Rossia as both of those have heads that are not fused to the mantle, unlike your specimens.

We really need Steve for this one!

Phil

I wonder where he is?

Eric, have you got access to any formalin and baking soda?

I can ask my teachers....they ought to give it to me since my head of science is might be interested in cephs! :biggrin2:

Baking soda...hm....I think I have some in the cupboard...what do you want with baking soda and the other formalin thingamabob?

I can always go to my neigbour's with a cup and ask them for a cup of baking soda, since more than 300 poeple live in my apartment.

You're right, Eric, baking soda should be easy to get. Formalin may be less common. Ask your chemist. It's used to preserve specimens. Greg, can Shanlyn tell us if formalin is used to preserve humans before funerals?

Melissa

Ok, Head of Science says that I should note a few things befor ebuying planes tickets for squids:

1) Is it really neccsary to send them to NZ to Dr. SOS

2) Will it break any custom's rules on sending these things

2) Formalin is extremly smelly, and I, Head of Sci. and the school don't have the proper certificates to give, or buy formalin.

3) Is it really neccsary to use formalin

4) How much would it cost.

5) Is the whole thing really neccsary.

Could anyone please answer the question above, please?

Also, how do I preserve things in baking soda, or will alcohol work? :glass:

P.S: Mom thinks that Dr.SOS wants baking soda is becuase it'll marinate well squid and all he has to do is cook it. :lol:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back