Erich Orser off line and unavailable. (Gasp!)

You pegged it...pc's stink, mac's are inefficient, but easy to use. If someone came out with a computer that actually worked all of the time, they'd rule the known universe.

Have to go, Windows is crashing yet again.

greg

Honestly, I've never found Macs easy to use. I struggle whenever I find myself having to operate one. This is probably just because the first computer I regularly used was a PC, but I've always found the Windows interface to be more intuitive (ie, the max/min/undock button triplet on each window, right clicking an object to do things other than opening it, etc).

I also love my computer's customizability. If I want to upgrade to 1024mb of RAM I can get two 256 cards off eBay for $70. My computer stopped running about a year ago--I took the cover off and immediately found the fan on my video card had siezed and fried it. New one goes in, plug and play, its like a whole new machine.

Dan

Once the dual-core Macs come out (soon), it'll just be a matter of time before Apple offers users the options of switching back and forth between Windows and OS.

Cheers,
Clem, Mac user since 1984

Clem said:
Once the dual-core Macs come out (soon), it'll just be a matter of time before Apple offers users the options of switching back and forth between Windows and OS.

Cheers,
Clem, Mac user since 1984

Good god! First its Intel chips, and now you won't even need to use OS. Is an Apple still going to be an Apple?

Dan

Got to chime in here! I learned on a Mac...........Uni of Otago is steadfastly Macintosh!

I am currently in our dept computer room surrounded by 6 imacs, 4 apple mini drives and 5 brand new PC's.

Marine Science is one if the few Depts to have any PC's which is because most oceanographic equipment interfaces only with PC's (at least the stuff we have!).

I personally have a PC..........financial decision! An ibook (or similar) in NZ starts at $3999 and goes up! a PC Laptop can be as low as $999.............so I have had to learn to deal with a PC and can now swap from one to the other....................I am very proud of myself...........I am a computer numbskull!

J

I was a PC person for many, many years. Unfortunately, although the business world (and most of the rest of the world) is based around PCs, the world of editing, computer animation, sound design, sound editing - basically everything having to do with the creative side of the entertainment industry - uses Mac as the industry standard. We eventually wised up to this and crossed-over to the Dark Side. Never been happier. Don't know why we didn't do it before.

Fujisawas Sake said:
I think we need a third computer format... something like the Un-Compter or something like that. Light, crisp, refreshing... Without the MAC attitude or the PC hyper-conformity blue screen of death. Hmm...

Well, even without touching the os market, Google is going to rule the world pretty soon!

Dan

erich orser said:
I was a PC person for many, many years. Unfortunately, although the business world (and most of the rest of the world) is based around PCs, the world of editing, computer animation, sound design, sound editing - basically everything having to do with the creative side of the entertainment industry - uses Mac as the industry standard. We eventually wised up to this and crossed-over to the Dark Side. Never been happier. Don't know why we didn't do it before.
Yeah all the good music recording software is mac based and uses firewire instead of usb. I'm having to borrow a mac to work on my band's promo DVD. Ah for the halcyon days of the amiga and the video toaster.........

computer religious wars

I could say a lot about this topic, but I'll sum it up: all computer operating systems suck. The one *you* like is just what you're used to, and when you have to use one you're not used to, you notice the things that suck more. Personally, I use linux more than anything, which makes me notice the stuff that sucks about windows and OSX, but I wouldn't want to push linux on anyone, either.

Really, the computer industry, and the field of computer science, have really let the world down in terms of producing reasonable products.

thbpfttttt.

My son-in-law, who is ed. in chief of a computer industry journal agrees with you. He thinks that linux is by far the best system. I guess the probelm. like always. is the microsoft monopoly. The onlyu computer game ZI ever really got into (besides variious solitaires) was the pie Bill Gates thing. That was fun!

monty said:
I could say a lot about this topic, but I'll sum it up: all computer operating systems suck. The one *you* like is just what you're used to, and when you have to use one you're not used to, you notice the things that suck more.

Good thinking with the extended warranty, Erich!

As someone who works on both PCs and Macs, I agree with Monty. I complain about everything equally. Mac isn't as fast with stats programs, but any word processing software to write up those stats crashes more on PCs.

Melissa

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back