Endoceras fossils

Hi guys, haven't posted here in a few years but you may remember my journals on both sepia bandensis and octopus briareus. Haven't kept and Cephs in recent years but hopefully one day again.

Anyway less than a year ago I moved to a rural area in northern ontario, it's been mostly boring however I was just informed there were 5 foot encoceras fossils exposed for years! Unfortunately weather and a lack of interest has meant the fossils have degraded quite a bit. From what I understand a university did study them in 1990 so they have been exposed to harsh winters and possible vandalism for nearly 30 years. The guy who told me about them and showed me also provided a photo from 2010 and they were clearly in better shape then. He also showed me a second one that was less intact but from a larger specimen. I'll certainly be on the lookout for more. Fossils are not exactly my area of expertise but when I found out they were prehistoric cephalopods that really sparked my interest.

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

the larger one
IMG_0138.jpg

Photo from 2010

Endoceras.jpg

If it had still been in this shape now I would be looking for someone to help me take it out myself. A long time ago there was a note at the site, but it's on public property just off a very remote road.

Thanks, yes it is a real shame no one excavated when it was intact. If I find anymore I will sure to post.

I'm still pretty active in the marine hobby despite the fact most of the reefs here are fossils. I still have a mixed reef tank and the tank I have used for cephalopods in the past currently houses a lionfish and snowflake eel. Prior to them I kept garden eels but due to the move I had to give them away as the tank needed a complete tear down with the super deep sand bed the garden eels required.

I probably won't hatch cuttlefish again which is a shame because seeing the complete life cycle not once but twice was very enjoyable, but even when I was located near a major airport it was tricky getting live mysid shipments. Still one day in the future I hope to try another octopus at which time I will of course do another journal. In the mean time I'll checkout some of the newer journals.

Nice, big, fossils! Fossils do weather and erode quite easily and fast sometimes, just remember that that is what exposes them in the first place, so as some disappear others will appear. :yinyang: A shame fossil cephalopods don't receive the same attention that dinosaurs would.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back