Eledone vs. Pareledone

Hallo :smile:

Does anybody know something about the genetic status of the two Octopodidae species Eledone and Pareledone?
The "Par-" may suggest a close relationship and I know that according to morphological data they constitute the subfamily Eledoninae (Sweeney & Roper, 2001), but has their relationship ever been verified by genetic studies? Does anybody know whether Eledone is closer related to Pareledone than to other Octopodidae, for example Octopus?

Thanks for helping,
K :cuttle:

Hmm... doesn't seem to be too much out there... Lindgren et al. looked at phylogenetics of the Cephalopoda, but didn't have any Pareledone tissue, only Eledone.

Lindgren, A. R., Giribet, G. & Nishiguchi, M. K. (2004). A combined approach to the phylogeny of Cephalopoda (Mollusca). Cladistics 20 (5), 454-486.

The other article that came up was this one...

Levy, J.A., Haimovici, M., Conceicao, M. 1988. Genetic evidence for two species to the genus Eledone (Cephalopoda: Octopidae) in South Brazil. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology 90B: 275–277.

Sorry, that's probably not much help. :hmm:

Spoke too soon! Try this one:

Allcock A.L. and S.B. Piertney 2002. Evolutionary relationships of Southern Ocean Octopodidae (Cephalopoda: Octopoda) and a new diagnosis of Pareledone. Marine Biology. 140: 129-135.

... I just keyword-searched 'Eledone' on CephBase. :smile:

Janet Voight put out a very interesting paper a decade-or-so ago (could be longer; could have been near 2 decades - maybe 1988 in Malacologia; I'm getting older and time flies) on arm sucker number (and row - 1 row or 2) in octopodids (Octopodidae). I don't have a link to this now, but will post details later. Basically, don't use the number of rows of suckers in an octopodid to infer relationship. No, Pareledone and Eledone are not necessarily related. The same applies to species with and without ink sacs. These animals are as plastic in morphological/anatomical terms as they are in phylogenetic terms.

It wasn't as long ago as I had thought; the paper to which I refer above is:

Voight, J.R. 1993. The arrangement of suckers on octopodid arms as a continuous character. Malacologia 35(2): 351-359. It is worth interloaning if you haven't a copy (I do not have it in pdf I am afraid).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back