[Octopus]: El Diablo - O. vulgaris

My son has been caring for Diablo quite a lot when we are out of town. They have developed quite a repoire. Here are a couple shots of the two of them in order.

DSCN0980.jpg

DSCN0981.jpg

DSCN0982.jpg

Actually, Diablo will greet anyone who touches the glass, but shhh...

Realy nice photo series! I see you have a peppermint shrimp in the tank. They seem to be the one shrimp that is cunning enough to survive. I did have one that got too curious but for the most part they seem to do well. I am keeping a pair in a large breeder net and over feeding it for Tatanka. They seem to spawn about every two weeks. The fry may be too small now for him to eat but it is interesting that keeping them together seems to work to produce a relatively consistent spawn.

Does he use that round hole den in the bottom center that a human would think an ideal cave entrance?

I will suggest putting that hydrometer in the sump, I had one to break once and won't use that kind anymore. If el Diablo should bang it on the glass or rock is could be a major problem. Not only because of the sharp glass but also whatever is used to show temp (not sure it is mercury but whatever it is, it is not something you want in the water).

dwhatley;160736 said:
I think you are asking rhetorical questions :biggrin2: and I would totally agree with you suspected sex determination for both the enlarged suckers and the curled arm tip. Suckers can appear larger when on the glass but these are strongly suggestive of being larger even without being pressed harger to the glass. Luck is staying on your side! I have a high preference for males because of the extra time with them and they seem to be more human interactive as a general rule (at least in my experience with most Caribbean's. Both my macropuses were very human friendly and I had one of each).

You were right again in your other guess :wink:. Photo soon.

I am very happy to have a male again :lol:
When Diablo arrived I was so sure he was male. I have not revisited the subject in a long time, I had accepted he was a she. I think since he has grown quite a bit, the suckers are much more apparent.

I assume it arrived. :heee:
IMO it is so you :notworth:

Good idea, it is a thermometer. I have 2 digitals and one glass. (I keep the glass as my "just in case" back up) My submergable is on the bottom of the tank, Diablo won't leave it alone. I have the second non-submergable in the sump. Do you notice all the toys too? Diablo preferrs the floating to the sinking ones and plays with all of them.

Yes, Diablo's den in right behind the holes. There are 3 holes that lead to a central den space, he (funny saying he) preferrs the hole on the far right or he will enter from the back.

I noticed the toys and meant to ask if he played with them. A video of him experimenting would be most excellent :sagrin:

Yes, it was perfect and Neal and Luis agreed. It even matches my dishes :biggrin2: Picture will come in supporters but probably tomorrow as my hair is wet and not drying quickly in this humidity :roll: (anything to procrastonate taking a self picture, you may only get hands and the appropriate accessory).

I really, really love that last photo of your son and el Diablo!

I really, really love that last photo of your son and el Diablo!

My new screen saver :smile:
I really hate seeing photos of myself too, makes me cringe :yuck:

A video will be challenging, I never know when he'll decide to grab one. (sometimes he will gather several at the same time, very cute) Maybe if I remove them all for a day, we'll see. I bought a sack of assorted squeeze and squirt toys. I experimented with sink/float by filling some with water. Diablo definately likes the float ones. I plan to clean tomorrow and grab the sink ones out anyway.

I took a ride to H Mart, wanted to see if they had blue crabs. I know I said I would not feed them after last time but with the bigger tank I am going to try one and I figure she would enjoy. They didn't have any so I stocked up on shrimp. I have been feeding Diablo 2 a day, really going through them.

He is looking great! That shot with your son is priceless! The toys are great. Pen does not play with anything but sure is a hoarder, ANYTHING that goes in the tank that he can move. All of Legs toys, plus some random things, like PVC fittings.

I cleaned the tank, glass plus water change. Diablo makes cleaning an ordeal. He grabbed me and would not let go. He had a good hold on the rocks and dislodged a large rock. I grabbed it and he proceeded to move under and around it. I could not put it down or get him off. Mark eventaully had to give me a hand holding it so I could coax him off. The he moved off the rock and sat in the exact spot where the rock went. :hmm: This went on and on. Diablo stold the end off my glass scraper too. I should be thankful as I didn't get blasted by the cannon :smile: I wish I could have taken some photos but I had my hands full. I will try to get some photos later on. I removed all the toys for a good cleaning. Maybe when I reintroduce them I can get a video.

Awesome pics! I love the ones with your son and Diablo! And you really get a good reference as to size with both of them in the pic! The one looks like they are in a standoff where Diablo is sitting perched on the rock! Great pics! What do you use? Do you use a flash?

Sorry, but I am crying I am laughing so hard :roflmao:

My best belly laughs seem to be at your expense of late. With the heat, getting a water cannon blast would not have been all that bad!:sagrin:

dwhatley;161014 said:
Sorry, but I am crying I am laughing so hard :roflmao:

My best belly laughs seem to be at your expense of late. With the heat, getting a water cannon blast would not have been all that bad!:sagrin:

A cool shower would be nice but I usually do that in the bathroom not the livingroom.

Crow, no flash.
The last photo looks as if the old wise octopus is dispensing wisdom to the young man. Or am I delirious from the heat, man it is so HOT here. I want to rip my clothes off, just sweaty, sweaty, sweaty!!

Thank to you all for the compliments, I love the feed back, makes me feel special!!

I tried a video this morning, nothing usable. I did however get a great shot of my daughter's back and my feet. Again I think it's the heat. Planning to try again soon. I will slap myself before I begin so I am more alert.

I will fill my new coffee cup and drink it dry as a vicarious assist :wink:. My father is notorious for photos of backsides over the years but feet are considered as humerous topic here from some very old dialogs (starting about here). You will not there is a no feet icon.:nofeet:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back