[Octopus]: El Diablo - O. vulgaris

I got a video of Diablo eating a small bay scallop. Lately if he sees the camera he shys away. Funny because I usually do not use a flash. Anyway he is eating the scallop, he must get a glimps of the camera they spits out the scallop and retreats into his den. He responds my (and little tap I use to call him)hand on the glass and as he pulls his arm back in, he grabs the scallop to fihish his meal.

Click on the photo, is a video

Did you notice on reading about Paul the Octopus (of World Cup fame) that Paul loves attention and when cameras flash, he presses himself up against the glass. In other words, he poses! Wish more were like that!

Nancy

See if it is only while he is eating. Mine like to sit and eat in peace and if I shine a light on them they are indignant and move off. If I leave only a trailing shadow Cassy at least will often stay visible. Remember that you will get reflected light off the lens (and likely polarized light that we don't see if you have a filter or your lens is coated). My camera has a focus beam that they don't like but I leave it on because I would never get a decent picture without it.

Of course he might just be being an octopus ...:biggrin2:

Is it possible someone else might have flashed him? I know one of mine, my son Kevin flashed and it took him 2 weeks before he would let me take pics without fleeing as soon as he saw the camera.

I don't think anyone else flashed him, I am the only one who photographs him.

Water change day once again. Diablo was very into my siphon today. I used 2 buckets. I decided (on the fly) to keep changing the buckets since I couldn't get the siphon away from Diablo. I was able to clean the sand. Diablo got a good ride up/down up/down and so on. He let me pet him, I should say he let me clean the glass in between petting him. Oh yeah, no water cannon this evening :biggrin2: Took a while but I finally got it all done.

DSCN1122.jpg

DSCN1124.jpg

I left a post saying the last picture made me want to reach into the photo and pet him but coming to read this post, the original seems to have disappeared. Either we have ghosts or I am getting old.

I have not posted in quite a while, my world has been shaken with some avents and I have no time. My parents came in from FL and finally got to see an octopus up close, now I feel complete. My mother even got brave and let Diablo grab her finger. It was breif and she will not be offering a finger again any time soon. She was creeped out. Some people will never get it.
Diablo continues to be a social butterfly, he is out quite a lot during the day. When I walk by the tank he shoots to the glass, I think begging for food. I am aggrivated that I put out the money for a large magfloat. I never get to use it as Diablo has claimed it and keeps it tucked away in his den. Occasionally it get away from him, I grab it with the outer magnet and try to clean but that lasts about 1/2 a minute till he grabs his toy back. He treasures this above all other toys much to my dismay.

:roflmao:AGAIN you and el Diablo brighten my day at your expense!

Someone posted to one of my YouTube briareus videos and is expecting a O.vulgaris soon so I hope he/she will join us and journal the animal.

Nancy's bimac and I think one other animal would seek attention by disconnecting the magfloat so that the outside part would fall to the floor and bring a human running. I wonder if has something to do with the rectangular shape. Carol has had several that played with the very large rectangular leggos, two discovering they could ride them. You might try to locate one (I think they are called something like mega blocks and I know her's was green) to see if it interests el Diablo.

It is so difficult, he is so stretchy LOL. Best guess at Diablo's size is... mantle is about 5-6" arms are over 12".

I want to post some updated photos but I left my memory card in my son's computer and he took it back to school with him. I am kicking myself right now.

I don't think El Diablo knows he is an octopus, not a single timid sucker on him. He is out most of the day. When ever there is activity in the living room, he is plastered to the glass looking for attention. Water changes are more difficult than ever. He is all over everything making siphoning and interior glass cleaning very tedious work. He climbed out several times during this afternoons cleaning, w/water cannon blazing. I found myself wishing there was something I could do send him to his den even if it was to scare him a little, I have found nothing that deters his attention. He wants what he wants.

I don't think El Diablo knows he is an octopus, not a single timid sucker on him. He is out most of the day. When ever there is activity in the living room, he is plastered to the glass looking for attention. Water changes are more difficult than ever. He is all over everything making siphoning and interior glass cleaning very tedious work. He climbed out several times during this afternoons cleaning, w/water cannon blazing. I found myself wishing there was something I could do send him to his den even if it was to scare him a little, I have found nothing that deters his attention. He wants what he wants.

I'd swear you were describing Pen, that is exactly how he is!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back