• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Eight armed visitors

I volunteer at the North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher in my spare time. I came in to work today and in the back where we keep our extra livestock were 3 fifty gallon trashcans with aireators in them and lids on top. I take a peak inside and guess what it was. Three octopus. They were pretty big vulgaris (around 5 inch mantles). I was sad to hear that they were not for us but to be shipped to the South Carolina Aquarium. I still got to mess with them a bit. I had to keep changing out the water to keep them cold (they came out of 54 degree water). I found out they were pulled out of fish traps used for catching black sea bass by commercial fisherman. I guess these guys were too big to find their way out. They weren't the only things brought back from the fish traps. We also got several species of starfish, urchins, decorator crabs and a moray. This was the closest I have been to working with octopuses and I fell even more in love with them. I can't wait till my tank finishes cycling!!!
John

Sounds cool John, thats abit like Xmas morning eh?

I really enjoy it when all the new stuff comes into my work, get to see so many weird and bizzare stuff sometimes!

C

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back