• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

egg fertility question

surfy

Cuttlefish
Registered
I was just wondering if female octos lay fertile eggs without ever having a male present?
If so what role do males play in nature.

LOL, gotcha :wink:

How are people geting eggs to hatch when they only have one octo? ecspecially when they got it as a baby, or are those the eggs that arn't fertil?
Or am I missing something here? I have had a huge brain fart for the last couple days so excuse my ignorance :bonk:

hi surfy

you always need a male for octopuses eggs to be fertile.. but it is true that an umated female will still lay eggs and rear them as if she has been mated, obviously these are infertile and wont develop.

briareus for example can store sperm for at least a few weeks, so if she was caught from the wild she may still lay eggs that are fertile in the home.

Alright now I understand these little guys more.
I kept reading about peoples octo's laying eggs and I was thinking how or if they could be fertil when there is only a single octo in the tank.
Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back