East Asian Octopuses x2

I received 2 small octopuses from “East Asia” and am wondering if anyone can be of help with ID. FWIW, the wholesaler also had Wunderpus photogenicus listed as being from East Asia as well. Both are smaller specimens but have a different look, albeit they were photographed either in the bag (or crawling out of it) or newly introduced into holding tanks. Both are small, abdomen at rest is about the size of the last digit on my pinky. Much bigger than the last O. joubini I had, stretched out perhaps 6” or longer from tip to tip, mantle does not look very large in comparison the the body. Suckers appear to be in rows. Both have cirri on their bodies although octopus 1 has far more than octopus 2, although this could easily have something to do with stress level as octopus 2 decided to climb out of the acclimation bag (trying to post the video of it crawling on my hand).

Octopus 1

Octopus 1

Octopus 1

Octopus 1 on left, 2 on right

Octopus 2

Octopus 2

Solution
My guess is abaculus. 2 looks either really stressed or close to senescence. It's described from the Philippines. Intertidal, day active, rarely seen. My second guess would be gorgonus but that has shorter arms, more pinks than dark purple, and is subtidal on high energy forereefs, so much less likely to end up in the aquarium trade.
Octopus 1 is an angry little one - flashing lots of colors at me - will probably relocate Octopus 2 as it seems this current holding situation will be stressful. Have not seen the polka dot pattern before, each cirri had a white base.

Upvote 0
LOVE that polka dot pattern (also love seeing you back into keeping octos!)! Looking through Norman, I am guessing O. capricornicus

Octo 2 may be in the Abdopus family. We have seen a number of small, nocturnal adults that are initially thought to be young aculeatus
normancapricornicus-jpg.65775

Attachments

• NormanCapricornicus.jpg
    NormanCapricornicus.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 291
Upvote 0
@DWhatley yes, glad to have some octopus again. Definitely bears a striking resemblance to the O. capricornicus but that said, the range doesn’t fit. I know that the stock lists tend to have a lot of variation in them but this one came from Quality Marine and I think they are pretty good with describing where things come from - would this species potentially be in that range? Second one is looking gray and dumpy, not sure of the age but definitely will be movingly it. They were very active last night before lights out with the one in the cage exploring its prison bars...

Upvote 0
My guess is abaculus. 2 looks either really stressed or close to senescence. It's described from the Philippines. Intertidal, day active, rarely seen. My second guess would be gorgonus but that has shorter arms, more pinks than dark purple, and is subtidal on high energy forereefs, so much less likely to end up in the aquarium trade.

Upvote 0
Solution

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back