• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Dwarf Octopus Tank

Another option is to use stainless steel bolts. This worked great for me. That lid is on the filter compartment. All access to the filter compartment was blocked with plastic needle point mesh. IMG_3338.JPG
IMG_3340.JPG
IMG_3339.JPG

I just realized this is a dwarf tank so a bit of weight should be fine. The biggest concern will be any openings not covered by the lid. One way to help minimize escape issues would be to lower the water level to between 1.5" and 2" from the top (if you can, this is not always viable).

I just realized this is a dwarf tank so a bit of weight should be fine. The biggest concern will be any openings not covered by the lid. One way to help minimize escape issues would be to lower the water level to between 1.5" and 2" from the top (if you can, this is not always viable).
That’s what I was thinking, an octopus that doesn’t get too big shouldn’t be able to lift a decently sized lid. Anyway, I’m still not going to underestimate it.
The only real holes I can see are around the filter cutout, and even those aren’t very big. I’ll just have to go back and glue a piece of mesh material around it.

Be sure you use aquarium safe sponge (ie NOT kitchen sponges). There are a number of options made for baffles and weirs that work well. For places where water needs to flow I have used HVAC open weave filter material (but not sure where I found it) that is made of plastic.

So today I bought an octopus, not sure if it was a good idea or not. Went to my LFS tonight to look and they had another tiny Pacific Brown. They told me this is the last one they’ll have for a while, so I decided to get it.
Here are some pics, maybe someone can help me ID it. He’s about the size of a quarter right now.
500A6B1F-4380-4694-AF82-C7A168E32BAC.jpeg
C770EE07-FB3B-493F-B6F0-8F9C5EAECF2D.jpeg
13172F41-31C7-4046-8DBB-0764ED34FB78.jpeg

Pictures can be deceiving but my first impression from the arm length and thickness compared to the mantle is that this is a dwarf species.
Awesome, any guess right now is a step in the right direction. It would be perfect if this turned out to be a dwarf.
Only thing I’m wondering is if it is a dwarf species from the Pacific, or a dwarf from the Carribean. Like O. Joubini or Mercatoris

Take a look at the images from this search and see if your new ward looks similar (eyes, coloration, arm:mantle ratio). We have not seen many new animals in the last 6 months but in the 6 (or so) prior months a number of animals that appeared to be O. bocki are recorded.

Not sure what to look for right now when I'm trying to identify him, but I will work on it.
I saw him last night after the lights when out on the front glass after not seeing him the whole day, so it seems like he is a nocturnal species. I shined a light to get a better look (probably wasn't the best idea) and he crawled off into a little cave all the way at the right side off the tank. I could still see him, and I offered a piece of thawed shrimp. He grabbed the long forceps, but only held on to the shrimp for a second. When I looked back at that cave later on though, I could see him hiding behind a Little Rock and the shrimp was gone. I'm assuming he took it and was feasting on it when I saw him.
I'll update if I see him today.

The first month should still be considered acclimation so you will see behavior changes. Try offering a very small piece of shrimp (about the size of its eye) at first. Be sure you remove any uneaten dead food as it can cause an ammonia spike.

The first month should still be considered acclimation so you will see behavior changes. Try offering a very small piece of shrimp (about the size of its eye) at first. Be sure you remove any uneaten dead food as it can cause an ammonia spike.
As with all fish and critters I expect it to take a little while to get used to me and my habits and the feeding schedule.
I waved around a piece of shrimp in some nooks and crannies today to see if I could lure him out but it was nowhere to be seen. I set the lights to turn off at 6, so I might be able to see him soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back