Dwarf Octopus Tank

Nils Laicher

Blue Ring
Registered
Pictures can be deceiving but my first impression from the arm length and thickness compared to the mantle is that this is a dwarf species.
Awesome, any guess right now is a step in the right direction. It would be perfect if this turned out to be a dwarf.
Only thing I’m wondering is if it is a dwarf species from the Pacific, or a dwarf from the Carribean. Like O. Joubini or Mercatoris

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Take a look at the images from this search and see if your new ward looks similar (eyes, coloration, arm:mantle ratio). We have not seen many new animals in the last 6 months but in the 6 (or so) prior months a number of animals that appeared to be O. bocki are recorded.

Nils Laicher

Blue Ring
Registered
Not sure what to look for right now when I'm trying to identify him, but I will work on it.
I saw him last night after the lights when out on the front glass after not seeing him the whole day, so it seems like he is a nocturnal species. I shined a light to get a better look (probably wasn't the best idea) and he crawled off into a little cave all the way at the right side off the tank. I could still see him, and I offered a piece of thawed shrimp. He grabbed the long forceps, but only held on to the shrimp for a second. When I looked back at that cave later on though, I could see him hiding behind a Little Rock and the shrimp was gone. I'm assuming he took it and was feasting on it when I saw him.
I'll update if I see him today.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
The first month should still be considered acclimation so you will see behavior changes. Try offering a very small piece of shrimp (about the size of its eye) at first. Be sure you remove any uneaten dead food as it can cause an ammonia spike.

Nils Laicher

Blue Ring
Registered
The first month should still be considered acclimation so you will see behavior changes. Try offering a very small piece of shrimp (about the size of its eye) at first. Be sure you remove any uneaten dead food as it can cause an ammonia spike.
As with all fish and critters I expect it to take a little while to get used to me and my habits and the feeding schedule.
I waved around a piece of shrimp in some nooks and crannies today to see if I could lure him out but it was nowhere to be seen. I set the lights to turn off at 6, so I might be able to see him soon.

Nils Laicher

Blue Ring
Registered
Haven’t seen the little guy since the night before last, so Friday night. Should I be concerned yet? I bought some feeder ghost shrimp and threw one in now at lights off so we’ll see if that can get him to come out. I have no idea where he could be hiding, and I admit I moved some rocks to see if I could find him today.
Any other suggestions?
I doubt he got out, all openings were covered and I’ve looked for a body but didn’t find anything.

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
hmmm... looks like there are plenty of hiding spots in the tank, for a small octo. going missing for a few days is not unheard of esp. at the start, s/he may be just dealing with the transition. experts here will know when to get concerned but I don't think it's here yet.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
The dwarfs and very young octos often find housing inside the live rock so be very careful not to leave any out of the water if you disrupt the aquascape in your search. Be sure you look closely at your filter. It appears to be well octoproofed but dwarfs are notorious for finding their way into dark places. Lastly, live shrimp are not an easy meal for octopuses. Thawed table shrimp work well if hand fed but not for leaving out with the hope it will be found. See if you can locate some small crabs (fiddlers are usually the easiest to find) or, failing that saltwater hermit crabs.

Nils Laicher

Blue Ring
Registered
I’ve checked in the filter, no sign of him there. And I’ve tried waving some shrimp around in the caves, no luck with that either. Not leaving any sitting in the tank either. There is a blue leg hermit in there right now, so I guess that once he disappears it could mean the octo got a hold of him.
I’m probably just being way too worried and just stressing myself out about it. I’ll give him some time to come out on his own. Moving rocks probably wasn’t a good idea I feel like it just scared him more. And any rock that came out went back in in under 2 minutes.

Latest Posts