• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

dwarf in 10 gallon

Clyde,
Ten gallons is awfully small even for a single dwarf. The nano protein skimmers that I have seen are worthless and would recommend using the money to upgrade the size of your tank. Most 20 gallon rectangular tanks have the same footprint so they will not take any more table top space but will more than double the water volume if you use the same quantity of live rock. I do feel that live rock is essential, especially in a small tank. I keep two Mercatoris in a 15 gallon hex with a Skelter overflow filter/skimmer combination. The Skelter is not the best skimmer and I supplement both the aeration and the filtration by using a drinking water quality filter with a bag of carbon placed in the "sump" area rather than the thin poly/carbon made for it AND I change out at least two gallons weekly. Also keep in mind that you will need to expose the return from your filter to a lot of air to allow the CO2 to leave the water and exchange with air to keep oxygen levels acceptable in the aquarium. Additionally, I have found it highly desirable, if not required, to leave 2.5" - 3" of unfilled space at the top of the tank. With only a 10 gallon, there really is not enough water volume to include live rock and lowered water levels.

If you're upgrading to a larger tank, you may want to consider a much larger tank, since even in a 20gal, the only octo you could consider is a dwarf, which are usually very shy, nocturnal, and short-lived. Also, even with a 20gal, you'd need to watch the water quality like a hawk, because if anything goes wrong, it will need to be taken care of very quickly.

hey

mercatoris have a mantle about the size of a grape and i think there arms are 5 times the size of there head. and upgrading to at least a 55 gallon will give you a lot more choices for octos and you can get a bimac or hummelincki and if you go to a 75 gallon you can get a briareus.

fishkid6692;111645 said:
mercatoris have a mantle about the size of a grape and i think there arms are 5 times the size of there head. and upgrading to at least a 55 gallon will give you a lot more choices for octos and you can get a bimac or hummelincki and if you go to a 75 gallon you can get a briareus.

ok i probbly will upgrade

yeah

well for my 75 i'm spending at least 1000 just for the pump and protein skimmer. and then i have live rock and sand and all the other stuff so i'll probly spend over 1500

I would be more willing to suggest about $1000. The key here is to take your TIME. There is a website you may know about-Craigslist.com. They have fish tanks and stuff all the time. They are all second hand, cheap, and local. I would spend NO MORE than $100, just be careful there is no copper in the tank, and that copper has never been used. TAKE YOUR TIME...AGAIN :roll:...and shop around. You can also find live rock on craigslist, and the good part is, it's already mature and cured. Animal Mother found some nifty crushed limestone at home depot (I don't remember what it's called :bonk:) that would be enough to fill a 75 gal with enough sand for $5 if I remember right. You will want a very good protein skimmer that is preferably rated to a tank 1.5-2 times the size of your tank. Finally, the filter, I wouldn't spend more than $100. There are many different types, but they all do the same job if you ask me. Again, make sure it's rated to a tank 1.5 to 2 times the size of yours.

Here is a "shopping list" for a 75 gallon tank:
• 75 gallon tank on craigslist---$100
• Live rock, 100 pounds---maximum $400
• Sand---$5
• Skimmer---$100-$400
• Filter---$100
• Accessories (buckets, test kits, etc.)---$50
• Total---------------------Maximum $750-1055

Remember, you will be spending more money on food, some people on tonmo have to pay $80 a week in the winter to get live food. depending on where you live, it could be cheaper.

• Sand---$5
• Skimmer---$100-$400
• Filter---$100

The time spent enjoying your new pet.....priceless.:roflmao:

dreadhead;111663 said:
• Sand---$5
• Skimmer---$100-$400
• Filter---$100

The time spent enjoying your new pet.....priceless.:roflmao:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back