Durzo - A. aculeatus

DWhatley;193038 said:
When we see ours blending like that we never fail to wonder how many octopuses we did not see while diving.

I couldn't even begin to imagine how hard it would be to try and find some in the wild, let alone catch them.

I managed to get a picture just as he was leaving my hand... :roll:

DSCN17701.jpg

He is so cute! It has been a long time since we have had one of this species be this successful and I don't remember one that showed as much of the behavior we see in in situ films. I am afraid you are spoiled.

I just convinced my mom to hand feed him, now that was freaking hilarious. She started screaming when he grabbed her and she had to cover her mouth with her other hand while trying to say "he's trying to pull me in and eat me!". I wish I got a video...

It looks like she is becoming attached to Durzo :biggrin2: It think it is funny that she has no fear of the crab but was worried about the octopus.

My adult son's are afraid of getting pinched with fiddlers and both have sworn that the octos were trying to eat them. My oldest will only attempt touching an octopus if he is alone with it so no one will hear him squeal :lol:. The other has to feed them when we are out of town and always has a story about the octopus attacking him.

Not only does it hurt but it could easily puncture octo skin so we always break the tips of the large male claw. Sometimes it stays attached but often the animal will throw it even when we are very careful. We have noticed that they "bleed" and immediately attract scavengers (particularly peppermint shrimp - I even saw a pep carry off a whole live crab!).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back