Durzo - A. aculeatus

He's definitely been more social these past few days. When I get home from work (a little after 7), he has been out crawling across the glass. Before it was more like 9 or 10 before he would come out all the way. He pounced on a fiddler tonight as soon as it hit the bottom of the tank when before he would slowly hunt it when he was alone. I'll try to get a video next time I feed him a fiddler.

Video from last night from feeding him a shrimp:

Durzo seems to be the most energetic of this species we have seen in an aquarium (at least in a long time). This, in addition to his size makes me hope that he is a young and will be with you longer than what has been typical. He also seems to show more of the looks we have seen in in situ videos and I am wondering if that is because he is male where so many of the others have been female.

He seems to be perfect for me at least, he only seems to come out whenever I am home and paying attention to the tanks. From what I can tell, he doesn't seem to be crawling out on the rocks much: he is either poking his eyes out of his den or crawling on the glass or sand. He still is scared of my hand, so no interaction yet.

Do you happen to know how long most of the ones from LA last for others? I think we're almost at three months. :sly:

That does not seem possible but June 12 was your first post date. Three months or less is often the case and then they lay eggs. Sometimes it is only a few weeks. I have tried twice to keep one and ended up with a great little macropus and one of the small nocturnals. Puddles lived 4 months (it seemed like longer) but Espy was only with me a month one. Both appeared to die of normal senescence.

Dinner Time!
DSCN15841.jpg

First contact!
I decided to try and hand feed him a shrimp today instead of using the stick, and he grabbed my hand and tried to pull it towards him. For a little guy, he's got some strength. :lol:

Really like to motif for the room but I thought the tank was in your bedroom. I suspect it would not fit :lol: Looks like lots of room for the octo and may be why you have seen so many in situ type displays.

I only have my small tanks in my room, a 10 and 20. I don't want anything quite that big in my room. :wink:

He definitely has plenty of room, but spends most of it pacing across the front panel of the tank.

In the past few days I have noticed some gray coloration on him. He is still usually this color:
th_DSCN15871.jpg

but it's still worth mentioning. Still eating too, he destroyed a fiddler before I had a chance to record it. :roll:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back