Durzo - A. aculeatus

If you are not already, try offering something he does not usually eat. Octane was the worst for this and it was before we found some alternate offerings. He would go in spurts of not eating for several days and might have continued if we did not offer something different. As always when you see a change check your water parameters.including nitrate. I am beginning to think it may impact them more as they age.

This just kind of shows what I'm working with:
Video one is how he was when I got the camera (it was worse a minute before).
Grey/white color, arms corkscrewing, seems tough for him to hold onto the glass.

Sadly, Video one is showing typical end of life behavior and coloring. If you have been seeing this for a week, I am surprised he is still with you as the aculeatus seem to go quickly. I know it doesn't help but I am going through it with Octavia as well. I was very happy to see she survived until we got back from our trip but tonight she poured ink into her tank (an oddity we don't see often but have seen occasionally). Fortunately, I had an available tank to prevent suffocation from the ink but know she is going to leave me soon. I replaced over half the water in her original tank but it is still cloudy gray, hopefully the skimmer will clear the rest by morning. I will leave her in the second tank (she inked once after transfer but the thicker ink that is easier to remove) unless she blackens that one too.

I'm sorry for both of your impending losses. You've documented his life well in this post though, iALEX, with LOTS of great photos & videos; I've enjoyed reading of your experience with him. Thanks for sharing. Same for you, DWhatley, I feel like I know both of these animals personally even though I've only been here since September...

DWhatley;194268 said:
If you have been seeing this for a week, I am surprised he is still with you as the aculeatus seem to go quickly.

He has been grey for awhile now (hard to say how long at this point), but this was the first time I saw him with his arms corked how they were.

I just pulled him... He might of died yesterday because he was looking a little rough but it's hard to know when exactly it happened since those videos were the last time I saw him out in the tank.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back