• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Dude, Pool tank

cthulhu77 said:
Hey, how about if we make a real big ceph tank...I mean, really, really big...so we don't have to do water changes at all !
Now, it'll have a rocky substrate, some sandy areas, other animals so we don't get bored looking at just the cephs, and different thermal gradients so the animals can pick their own climes.

We'll call it :
The Ocean

Whaddya think?
:confused: mmmmmmmmmmmm Dunno, do you think it would catch on???? :confused:

J

Jean said:
Probably :goofysca: evaporation/dilution (if it rains!)

J

Optimally, this would have to be an indoor pool. There was a couple in Orange County about 15 years ago (or more) who turned their backyard pool into a giant shark tank. Mind you, this was encircled by a nine-foot privacy wall with clearly marked "no trespassing" signs posted everywhere, but the local homeowners association were so worried about curious children scaling the wall to go see the sharks, falling in, and being potentially eaten, that I believe a judge ordered them to get rid of them. Personally, I thought the high wall and no trespassing signs should have been sufficient. Anything that happens to the brats after they've already commited criminal trespass should be blamed on themselves (Nine-foot wall. We'd be talking junior high age kids here at least, who should know better). On the other hand, skateboarders in OC traditionally break into backyards with empty pools to practice their moves, so maybe this was being taken into account.

erich orser said:
Optimally, this would have to be an indoor pool. There was a couple in Orange County about 15 years ago (or more) who turned their backyard pool into a giant shark tank. Mind you, this was encircled by a nine-foot privacy wall with clearly marked "no trespassing" signs posted everywhere, but the local homeowners association were so worried about curious children scaling the wall to go see the sharks, falling in, and being potentially eaten, that I believe a judge ordered them to get rid of them. Personally, I thought the high wall and no trespassing signs should have been sufficient. Anything that happens to the brats after they've already commited criminal trespass should be blamed on themselves (Nine-foot wall. We'd be talking junior high age kids here at least, who should know better). On the other hand, skateboarders in OC traditionally break into backyards with empty pools to practice their moves, so maybe this was being taken into account.

Did they have a mechanical metal grate to trap nosey British spies?

Originally Posted by erich orser
Optimally, this would have to be an indoor pool. There was a couple in Orange County about 15 years ago (or more) who turned their backyard pool into a giant shark tank.

Only in Orange County... The marine mammal rehabilitation center in Orange County (Laguna Beach) got its start 30 years ago in the backyard pool of a lifeguard. They kept sick and injured sea lions in the pool until they were well enough to return to the ocean. Can you imagine the noise (and smell)?

Jean said:
And chew on the odd CIA agent? (I saw that Bond film too!) :lol: "He disagreed with something that ate him!'"

J

I guess it's a recurring theme-- I was actually thinking of Thunderball, I believe, but that's from License (or Licence) to Kill. Was there a shark pool in the Thunderball remake, Never Say Never Again? I forget.

Was about to drop in a new post an read this one...

Doctor whats his face (sorry mate am rubbish with names! :oops: ) said before about when he was a kid in US his dad had a massive pool tank, its in an old thread somewhere. can anyone remember this?

So was thinkin whilst designing my new tank, has anyone used swimming pool technology on their tanks?

Been chattin with someone who builds pools who gave me some good ideas...

I have converted pools to ponds before.
Do some research on the koi crowd as it's very big with them.
Then of course you need an old firetruck to do the actual first fill up.
You do still need water changes (test test test!!!) and also helps to have shade cloth preferably white to try reflect a bit of heat. Best thing I think about small salt ponds is mangroves. They charge hey and work well for nitrate removal once they get going.

Swimming pool filters are usless, so make your own. Also help to get bubbles going up from central bottem hole. Sucks all the crap to there so easy to do a quick drain every now and again. Little thing but makes it a lot easier.

would try explain a few more lessons learnt but my fingers really sore (like black level of sore)dude.

alright now heres an idea...

lets get some super huge peices of glass(like 300 yards long each and 4 of them) put them together on a coral reef like a box... then drain the ocean around it and just have a super huge aquarium with reef inside!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back