Dosidicus Beak on eBay

as ashamed to say it, I worked at an italian restaurant who served calamari (freshly prepared) so i've had the misfortune of seeing dead cuttles and squid who have beaks not too much smaller than that, so I doubt they're giant squid.

At least they identified it as a Humboldt, but that first bit, "Giant Squid Beak" is so misleading. Some poor sap will buy it thinking that a Humboldt IS a giant squid. What was it that JP Barmun said about fools and their money??? Sigh.

alexmaymir said:
as ashamed to say it, I worked at an italian restaurant
Hello alex,

Don't ever be ashamed of garlic and olive oil.:wink:

You're right, they're not true giant squid beaks, but they are from very large squid. I just wish the seller hadn't used misleading language. I'm tempted to buy one just to figure out how I could make molds (to produce resin beak copies.) They might be too delicate, though. Hmmm.

Clem

Clem said:
You're right, they're not true giant squid beaks, but they are from very large squid. I just wish the seller hadn't used misleading language. I'm tempted to buy one just to figure out how I could make molds (to produce resin beak copies.) They might be too delicate, though. Hmmm.

When I was an undergrad I spent a little bit of time with molding dino fossils using silicone molding compound and a variety of materials for the cast, including high and low density foams and a urethane plastic.

I think you could do this successfully but a good flexible mold would be necessary. We also found that using a vacuum pump really helped pull the air bubles out of the mold.

Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back