Doggy - the Chambered Nautilus

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
MiniTCon Invitations always extended. We have lots of room, 1 octopus, 4 cuttlefish and 1 nautilus who enjoy company (then there is Neal and me thrown in the mix of course).

Sooo excited (and scared) about keeping a nautilus! I never expected circumstances (star alignments?) to come about where I felt I could comfortably keep one. I will start a journal sometime tonight after I sort through the acclimation photos.

ngdo

O. bimaculoides
Registered
@cuttlegirl - in the ocean, nautilus live in deep cold waters during the day, and emerge at night to scavange the reefs for food. The nighttime reef temperatures are higher than the daytime temperatures at depth.

Oh, you're right, just wasn't thinking. The Nautilus they had at the Waikiki Aquarium were in the dark all the time, but they cycled the temperature. I started searching for the paper, but didn't find it yet - will keep searching tonight.

Well, I found this youtube video. Baby Nautiluses are about the cutest thing I have ever seen. So perfect, so tiny.
https://www.youtube.com/user/exallias1

I found one article about the original hatching.

http://www.internethawaiishellnews.org/HSN/1992/9201.pdf

Last edited:

ngdo

O. bimaculoides
Registered
@cuttlegirl - the smaller nautiluses are definitely the cutest! The smallest in the tank now is about the diameter of a baseball (obviously not newborn) and is absolutely adorable swimming around and flaring his tentacles.

Next feeding is Thursday, will video the process and upload. :wink:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I'll counter with Zilch being the cutest nautilus I have ever kept :wink:.

I am really hoping you see mating and eggs at some point during this venture.

That would be fun! But it's a long process... The ones at the Waikiki Aquarium were in a little tank, covered in algae for months behind the scenes. Until one day they could see the shell peeking out of the egg. About the coolest thing I have ever seen.

ngdo

O. bimaculoides
Registered
3/4 in frame!

Attachments

• IMG_20140829_235756.jpg
    IMG_20140829_235756.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20

ngdo

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Smallest nauts fighting over shrimp (even though they both have a piece)

Sorry for the poor angle, they were at the corner of the tank and hard to get a clear shot of!

Attachments

• IMG_20140902_111209.jpg
    IMG_20140902_111209.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 18

ngdo

O. bimaculoides
Registered
The shore shrimp are working amazingly for CUC. The y even thrive on nautilus poop.

There are definitely some penaid (brown) shrimp in there, so when they get older maybe the nautiluses will enjoy finding their larger molts.

IMG_20140906_101000.jpg