Does this sound right to you?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but.
I was parusing the "big auction" web page and found this listing.

"You are bidding on 3 half doller sized live octopuses. These are common octopus Octopus vulgaris. Class; Cephalopda Order; Octopoda.

These guys have been coming out of the live rock I collect at work. They are hardy eaters and will be the size of a baseball in a year. These octopus make a great addition to any tank, however they would go best in a small nano type tank with one or two rocks in it.

I am also sending 10 red cling crabs Mithrax forceps and 10 narises snails for food. They will also clean up your tank. This is several months worth or food. The octopuses also eat frozen fish and shrimp as well as live gold fish, live shrimp, snails and crabs."

I don't know about his Vulgaris,but my "Vigo" would NOT be a great addition to ANY tank,wouldn't last two weeks in a nano tank, and would eat ALL those crabs in about two days. Im not too sure bout the snails.

I only hope that all the people that are bidding on them know more than the seller. Anyone else have any thoughts bout this?

Afraid not. Its real. Someone report him ASAP. Heres what I think of this.

"These octopus make a great addition to any tank"? Yeah, I'd bet they'd do great in my 45 gallon reef tank with my yellow tang, maroon clowns, fusi goby, hermits, and electric scallop!

"When they get older they will devolpe blue rings around there eyes"
That's a bimac then.

"however they would go best in a small nano type tank with one or two rocks in it"
I think they might need A LITTLE MORE THAN THAT. I would say oh, at least 90 gallons more

And of course, he gives no info about things like salinity, temp, the fact that a protein skimmer is ALMOST REQUIRED

And finally, to end my rant
"You are bidding on 3 half doller sized live octopuses"
3? And I suppose he says to put them all in the same tank. Yeah, they'll do fine! They'll be great friends! Friends that eat eachother!YAY!

They are from Tampa, so they are definitely not bimacs. The common octopus in LR from Tampa is O. mercatoris. They would be about this size in the late fall and will breed next spring. Theywill not last more than another six months.

Roy

I'm glad to see that people are taking action on this. I've just finished filing a report myself. The "buyer" emailed me and asked me if I wanted to purchase the exact same items for 129.99!!!! I asked him just how many he had since he ALREADY has another auction up 3 MORE!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ryProximity&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

Somebody please tell me that there's something more we can do!!!

I pity whoever buys it and find a very nasty suprise that their tank can't handle the poor octo...which most possibly leads to the octo escaping and drying up on the pavement or eaten by tankmates...or dying from less than optimum water perimeters due to the octo itself. D: Not good.

Has anyone pmed this guy?Maybe a link to our site so he could look into information here?Maybe he would change his auctions and info.If no one has i will!:sad:

I sure would hate to see some one try and stick 3 of these guys in a 6g nano who knows what species they are this makes my blood boil!!!!!!

I have reported both auctions plz report him if you have a ebay account!
They have not removed them yet if enough people report him they should remove it!

I've reported his second listing also. He emailed me through ebay and told me that he has 200 of them for sale/auction!! I sent him one back with a link to this site and asked him to please change his information on the care for these guys. I have yet to get a response back from him on my request.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back