• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

does it hurt to feed your octo a rosey red minnow once in awhile

well, they are not ideal as they are freshwater and probably quite fatty but once in a while wont hurt... unless the fish has been treated with a copper based medication, in the LFS maybe? Then you're in bother, well your octo is...

Has it eaten all your crabs?

no , he still eats crabs

he actuallly took a big piece of frozen brine shrimp and i thought oh yes, he is going to eat it , but he spit it back out and jetted it everywhere

when my friend had his , he could unthaw it in the tank and his octo would go up in the water and be like a helicopter gathering all the pieces.

I always enjoyed watching his do that.

these came from a bait shop not a petstore, they told me that they raise them in well water

They also treat baitfish with copper based medications...it would be better to avoid them...one bad fish is like fugu liver !!!!

ok , but if they did , does it matter now ? I MEAN < BECAUSE i have changed their water, they dont live in that water anymore

i could ask the bait shop if they treat with copper, but why would they ,

It should be fine once in awhile if the octo can catch it. I'm guessing they don't want a sick fish to spread to the other baitfish, it sucks having a tank full of dead fish, I've had my share of that.

ok k well im not going to take any chances

but i was curious , if they do treat them with copper its just the water isnt it , so if they rosies are in different water , how could it still hurt the octo ,

do they soak it up like a sponge or something ? lol

marinerules said:
but i was curious , if they do treat them with copper its just the water isnt it , so if they rosies are in different water , how could it still hurt the octo ,

do they soak it up like a sponge or something ? lol

Well yes! The medication is put in with the fish and they absorb it through the gills and digestive tract. There wouldn't be much point in medicating a fish if it doesn't get into the fishes system!

If the fish was held in clean water for a time (I don't know for how long though!) the medication would flush out. But is it worth the risk for your octi? Plus as colin says the freshwater fish are typically very fatty......not good for your octi. Can you try to get some marine fish if your octi likes to eat fish?

J

too expensive, im going to have to stick with buying crabs and snails fo rhim ,

since h wont have anythign to do with frozen brine shimrp , even though I have seen bimacs eating it

let me suggest that a bimac eating frozen artemia is pretty desperate

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back