• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

does anyone on tonmo have a giant pacific octopus?

fishkid6692

Wonderpus
Registered
i was just wondering if anyone had this octo. and where they got one. i am planning on setting up a very large tank and i wanted to know more about them. thanks!

I have kept giant Pacific octopuses as a course of my research. First of all, having kept them, I had a 750 gallon tank. That tank was a bit small and had I kept the octopuses for more than two months each I would have wanted to put them in a larger tank. Secondly, you will need to get a collection permit from the state or province from which you are collecting them. In Washington state, where I have collected, they are touchy even for scientific collection, so it will likely even be more interesting to convincing them to let you collect one as a pet. GPOs are "game fish" in most of their range with makes governmental organizations less likely to let people capture them to keep as pets.
A well fed GPO will easily be an 8-foot, 60lb animal before it dies. Keep that in mind.

Taollan;115347 said:
I have kept giant Pacific octopuses as a course of my research. First of all, having kept them, I had a 750 gallon tank. That tank was a bit small and had I kept the octopuses for more than two months each I would have wanted to put them in a larger tank. Secondly, you will need to get a collection permit from the state or province from which you are collecting them. In Washington state, where I have collected, they are touchy even for scientific collection, so it will likely even be more interesting to convincing them to let you collect one as a pet. GPOs are "game fish" in most of their range with makes governmental organizations less likely to let people capture them to keep as pets.
A well fed GPO will easily be an 8-foot, 60lb animal before it dies. Keep that in mind.

Note that most biological things scale as the cube of the length, so if a one foot bimac needs a 55gal tank to be comfortable, an 8 foot GPO needs 512 x 55gal, which is a 28160gal tank. It will also need around 512 times as much food (maybe a bit less because of lower metabolism)

just some back-of-the-envelope things to keep in mind.

I'm actually surprised they did OK in 750gal tanks. Was that a flow-through seawater system?

an 8 foot GPO needs 512 x 55gal, which is a 28160gal tank. It will also need around 512 times as much food (maybe a bit less because of lower metabolism)

That is a BIG tank,If I only could win N.Y. state lotto.

monty;115348 said:
I'm actually surprised they did OK in 750gal tanks. Was that a flow-through seawater system?

Yup, it was a flow-through seawater, with high enough flow to essentially exchange all the water each hour. 750gal was indeed small, and I wouldn't recommend that small of a tank for anything other than short term holding (a month or two at the most). The last GPO I held was about 7' arm tip to arm tip and 48lb male. He could touch sides of the tank (long ways, about 7' apart) if he stretched out. It was indeed small.

That being said, metabolism actually increases more slowly than other parameters such as weight. Mass-specific volume actually goes down with increasing size by about the 3/4 (or 2/3, depending on who you believe) power. A GPO will produce considerably less wastes and require less O2 than a rubescens or bimac pound-for-pound. I still however wouldn't suggest a 750gal as a life-long pet GPO home.

I just consulted with Roland Anderson's (the Seattle Aquarium's Puget Sound biologist) "Octopus dofleini and O. rubescens: animal husbandry" in Workshop on the fishery and market potential of octopus in Califonia in which he says the aquarium uses GPO display tanks of 1100L (about 300gal) in which they have kept octopuses up to 18kg (about 40lbs). That being said they use seawater flow-through as well and as such water parameters are kept pristine and at temperature below 13C (about 55F). He also mentions that the Cleveland aquarium has a 1900L display tank that is part of a 9500L closed system in which it has kept GPOs up to 39kg.

some tanks at public aquariums ive been to have pathetic setuos for their GPOs....poor things were curled up and white as ghosts in one corner....no shelter, and often with annoying little fish in the same tank :frown:

ok nvm lol i was thinking 500g. way too big for me. i really like there color though. maybe i will just get a giant cuttle tank! i was going to make it a reef but my smaller tank got rapid tissue necrosis and i am giving up on corals after loosing about a thousand dollars worth of it. and i will downsize a bit. maybe a 265g. how many cuttles can i keep in a 265g? i love bandensis but i may consider other cuttles. any ideas? thanks!

i rushed it and i only cycled for 2 months but i used all stuff from my other tank so there was no cycle. but how many cuttles could i have in a 265g?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back