• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Do Octos Watch TV??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

nini

Wonderpus
Registered
"We tried this with the octopuses watching TV and had more than 5 reports from people who had observed this behavior and we even observed that octos preferred watching cartoons and sports."
the above was qouted on one of the tonmo articles, i was jus wondering.......do octos really enjoy watching TV? and if they do how can you tell if they are actualy watching it?
PeACe
Tif:yinyang:

nini said:
"We tried this with the octopuses watching TV and had more than 5 reports from people who had observed this behavior and we even observed that octos preferred watching cartoons and sports."
the above was qouted on one of the tonmo articles, i was jus wondering.......do octos really enjoy watching TV? and if they do how can you tell if they are actualy watching it?
PeACe
Tif:yinyang:

Well, octos are very visual animals, so it makes sense that they would be interested in watching moving things like TV. They wouldn't notice the color at all, though, and because of their polarization sensitivity, they'd probably find LCD televisions look very different than they do to humans...

As far as knowing that they're watching, it's frequently possible to tell from behavior whether an octo is bored or excited, so I imagine they just tend to be excited more frequently when the TV is on. Whether they can tell that the images are supposed to be a representation of something, or they just think it's a neat art show, though, I don't know how to tell.

nini said:
octos preferred watching cartoons and sports

the first thing that jumps out at me is the selection in "tastes"... maybe it's just a matter of being more attentive to programs with a more frenetic pace, with a constant change in intensity of light or tempo...

for example, i bet an octo would be more interested in a tv during an anime show than during CSPAN's coverage of some congressional debate....

WhiteKiboko said:
for example, i bet an octo would be more interested in a tv during an anime show than during CSPAN's coverage of some congressional debate....

That's quite an example. Heck, I bet houseplants get bored watching CSPAN....

(registered voters, too, unfortunately...)

G2 used to watch spongebob with my daughtor. You'd look at the tank and he'd be plastered to the corner facing the tv. He also had this fascination with my son, who shaves his head....LOL.....

Carol

My octopus Bubbles never was intrested in TV but I nodiced he always liked music. I often would put two speakers on both sides of my tank. Bubbles favorate music was from The Lion King.

wow thats really cool, so how can you tell if a octopus is excited?
Octopus change color. By monitoring what colors they change you can tell if they are scared, mad, ext.

awesome, im so excited i cant wait to finally get my tank set up and for the cycleing to finish and then i can get my octopus..yay!!! but thats most likely not going to happen til November or so :biggrin2:
PeACe
Tif

monty said:
That's quite an example. Heck, I bet houseplants get bored watching CSPAN....

(registered voters, too, unfortunately...)

Speak for yourself. I watch cspan a lot....depends on what they're debating. My reactions vary from :biggrin2: to :yuck: to :mad: .

y'know, we really need a "tongue in cheek" smiley.

Anyway, I'll leave the "that's what I'd expect from someone who watches softball" comments to WK, but combine this thread with the World Cup discussions: maybe what we need to get people to be more educated voters is to "spruce up" CSPAN: make the congresscritters dress in red, blue, (white for independents, green for greens, ...). I saw an article that seersucker is popular among female senators (aside: more great work from the Capital Hill press corps)-- if that's their idea of radical, we need to bring in some expert help: I want spandex! basketball shoes! headbands! garish wrestling masks! Congress needs a penalty box! we should get some of the image consultants who worked on the X games. And maybe bring in whoever got Janet Jackson signed on to that half-time show...

and don't even get me started on the Supreme Court...

Have you looked at the bodies of some of those congressmen????? Please! Spare us the spandex! Quite a few of them would be improved by the garish wrestling masks, however. I like the penalty box idea, but who do we get as a referee?

We've gone way off topic here - we're trying to keep the discussions more-or-less related to Ceph Care - why not move this discusson to the Supporters' Forum.

Anyway, I'm locking the thread.

Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back