• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Do cuttlefish eat local crabs?

JCFish

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi, I'm really new with cuttles and i was wondering if sepia bandensis will eat small crabs from the local beaches? because if they do it would be alot cheaper and easier than buying them.

and if they eat them would i also have to feed one other kinds of food too, or would it only need the one type?

:welcome: to TONMO.

Cuttles will probably eat appropriately sized local crabs, but cephs are notoriously picky, so you should be prepared in case they refuse. Also, make sure the local crabs aren't collected from somewhere polluted, and of course that local regulations allow you to collect them.

I think some of our ceph keepers feed local crabs (maybe Thales and Paradox in San Francisco?) and I know Gilly fed his officinalis local Monterey crabs.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back