• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

DIY Octoproof overflow

West1

Blue Ring
Registered
I posted in my build but I figured its own thread might help more people to Octo/Fish proof their overflows. Not the prettiest but defiantly very durable.

Things needed-
mesh
eggcrate
lots of tiny zipties
scissors

1) cut eggcrate to overflow size and leave some legs on the eggcrate so it fits over the overflow teeth
2) cut mesh bigger than eggcrate. Cut slits in mesh where the eggcrate legs are so the mesh can fold up as seen in picture #2.

This is really wedged in my overflow, not enough to break anything but defiantly strong enough to keep a small octo from pulling it out. Maybe adding a ziptie to an overflow tooth could prevent a bigger octo from removing it.

Anyways, I hope this helps someone.

A5B2E8E0-33C2-43F5-9E7B-8868B9911458_zpsmoppvih2.jpg

AC64030B-710F-493A-9238-5189AB2AA13F_zpsrx14b5ay.jpg

My build if anyone cares to see
Hello Octo lovers

@West1 did I hear elsewhere that you have a new octo? How's this feature working out?

I did have a new octo, unfortunately I lost him about a week later:frown:.
I will note that I have also lost a clownfish from this overflow screen. The crate creates dry sections where a 1" clownfish got stuck in and dried up. I need to go back and place another screen on top so the fish/animal can flop off. Hope this makes sense.

I did have a new octo, unfortunately I lost him about a week later:frown:.
I will note that I have also lost a clownfish from this overflow screen. The crate creates dry sections where a 1" clownfish got stuck in and dried up. I need to go back and place another screen on top so the fish/animal can flop off. Hope this makes sense.

Sorry about your loss. I think it makes perfect sense. Thank you for sharing.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back