• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

diy chiller

the bestoption to cool the tank is a fan for evaporation.

Most DIY chillers will not work.

Evaporation is the best way to go, but you will need to have a way to refill the water everyday. If your using a rodi unit, which is one of the best investments you can get for a system, you can have it set to a float valve and constantly refill what has evaporated.

simple;103109 said:
you've tried it? aw, i thought i had found a way to save some money.
can you tell me what the problem with it was? thanks.

THe dorm chillers are not designed for continuous use (which using it as an aquarium chiller will do) and they don't have the capacity to cool a significant amount of water.

Paradox;103110 said:
the bestoption to cool the tank is a fan for evaporation.

Most DIY chillers will not work.

Evaporation is the best way to go, but you will need to have a way to refill the water everyday. If your using a rodi unit, which is one of the best investments you can get for a system, you can have it set to a float valve and constantly refill what has evaporated.

Evaporation is great, but is isn't going to pull your temp down below ambient. If you want water to be 72 in most places, you'll have to pay a few hundred bucks for a chiller. :biggrin2:

PS
I got your pm's but got slammed this week and weekend!

Anybody using a chiller right now who can tell us something about it? - I've always resisited a chiller because of noise and heat in the room (unfortunately, that's my living room!)

Nancy

Nancy;103115 said:
Anybody using a chiller right now who can tell us something about it? - I've always resisited a chiller because of noise and heat in the room (unfortunately, that's my living room!)

Nancy

I had a chiller for my cold seawater system when I lived in California. It was loud and the chiller itself put out a lot of heat but it kept the animals alive. I set the temperature for 65 F and even though the tank was outside, it maintained a constant temperature even in Southern California summers. I purchased the chiller from Aqualogic (http://www.aqualogicinc.com/index.html) in San Diego. I bought the chiller in 1994 and it is still running today (I have had it serviced a couple of times, but the company is really good about repairs). I did eventually purchase a back-up chiller for the times the chiller broke down and I had to send it back to the company for repairs. I think the chiller only broke down on Friday afternoons :roll:.

While chillers are expensive, they don't break down that easily (well at least the higher quality chillers). The only maintenance mine required was oiling every once in a while.

has any one tried the 1/4 hp aquanetics chiller? and would it be enough to chill a 50 gallon to bimac temps? my guess is yes, but i just want to make sure..

Thales;103114 said:
Evaporation is great, but is isn't going to pull your temp down below ambient. If you want water to be 72 in most places, you'll have to pay a few hundred bucks for a chiller. :biggrin2:

PS
I got your pm's but got slammed this week and weekend!

Thales, I was under the impression that you can go below ambient temperature with the use of enough evaporation. Isnt this how evaporative cooling air systems work to lower ambient room temperatures? Theres probably a component that Im neglecting, so feel free to correct me.

ps-I can always check out the shrimps, and if they seem useable, Ill show you when you got the chance.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back