• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

DIY aquarium

Yeah for sorting out your tank you need to know the day and night time temps required to keep them happy. I cant remember off the top of my head - does anyone have a "cephalopods - a world guide" that can have a look? I believe the temperatures are written in there somewhere.

I dont know how you will set the tank up to automaticially switch between temps?

Have you got a calcium reactor ?

I like the idea of large projects like this !!1 very cool

Feelers said:
Yeah for sorting out your tank you need to know the day and night time temps required to keep them happy. I cant remember off the top of my head - does anyone have a "cephalopods - a world guide" that can have a look? I believe the temperatures are written in there somewhere.

I'd skip the World Guide for this application and go straight to the university library. I suspect you could find details about successful tank conditions from some of the pioneering institutions (such as Waikiki), and failing that, learn about the animal's natural habitat from the primary sources.

Dan

Colin said:
I must add that when i was in Barcelona last month there was a public aquarium and it had 2 tanks that had nauts in them. They looked to be in good health but from an aquarists point of view, they were basically floating shells. They didnt have any of the appeal that many other cephs have to me.

One thing that was very obvious, you could feel the chill coming off the glass without touching the tank!!!! I'd guess they were in the high 50s or low 60s

same with the ones at reefHQ in Townsville!

J

Here are the only ideas I can think of:
This place has a cylendical tank-very large (up to 58" diameter x 92" tall) but they are only 90% clear-may be good for holding down light levels though)
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/13480/cid/3799

Nautilus are cool, but I just saw some at the Tampa Aquarium and they weren't very interesting. I at first thought they were fake, but then they did move a little. Thier eyes dont seem to focus or react to thier surrondings. They housed thiers in a tall tank, but they had 3 in a 48" tall by about 36x36", but it was cold through the glass too.

I ordered my tank through www.glasscages.com and they seem to have the best prices I have seen for custom tanks (my 240 gal. was only $635 before all the add-ons). They know structurally what tanks can be built in glass and acrylic. They could maybe help with something.

Good Luck!

cuttlegirl said:
Do you think 95 gallons is big enough for a Nautilus?
I think it will be. The naut isn't very active, and I should be able to over filter the tank pretty easily, the only thing I would be concerned about is the little guy being comfortable in the tank.

Illithid, I do like the prospect of the cylindrical tanks, I lam going to give it another look. 4 feet in dia. is a nice size. I'll keep you all posted.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back