• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Disturbing a new octopus?

Today she got scared and inked a little. The cloud got about 2 cm and disappeared within 2 seconds.
I assume I don't need to do a water change because of that?

Sometimes when she gets scared (I believe) she turns white with dark spots. This is mostly when she gets surprised but not scared by something specific, like the lights gets turned on.

The small puffs that rapidly dissipate are not much of a concern if there is enough water volume but it is best to try to remove any ink with a turkey baster and/or fine net. Their ink comes in two basic forms, one very thin and the other very mucusy. Much of the later can often be removed with a brine shrimp net (along with a water change). Do you have a protein skimmer (recommended) running on the tank? Skimmers will usually pickup most of the fine ink but heavy or thick inking definitely requires an immediate water change as it can clog their gills.

She's still acting like a clock, wakes up at 2am, goes to sleep at 11 am. But she hasen't eaten for two days now. She's not interested when I'm trying to feed her. Tried frozen shrimp, blue mussle and squid. Once I've given it to her and she ignores it, it feels like there's no point trying again that day. That lady knows what she wants.
Should I be concerned that she's not eaten for two days?

Continue to offer food but she may well be at the end of her natural life so be sure that even if she takes it, that she eats and not leaves it untouched to foul the tank.

I have a problem now... she has squeezed herself into the corner where the filter is. How do I get her out? What I can see from the camera, she's been there since she went to sleep yesterday.
If she gets behind the filter completely, she get's access to the pump which is not a good thing...

The loose tentacle in one of the pictures is food, and not hers.

Attachments

• 2017-04-14 11.06.15.jpg
    2017-04-14 11.06.15.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 78
  • 2017-04-14 11.06.29.jpg
    2017-04-14 11.06.29.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 77
I would not attempt to pull her out. She is probably looking for a dark corner so you may be able to entice her out by adding an opaque black box (you'll need to use your imagination as to what you have that will work) in the opposite corner. When she had cleared the area, try wedging aquarium filter sponge to block the corner.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back