Disturbing a new octopus?

octobert

Cuttlefish
Registered
No I haven't. Since all my animals usually have "bert" in their names I assumed the octopus should have that too. But it doesn't really fit a female...

Today she was active from 6 am to 11:20 am. Definitely better times for me, but I guess that's a bad sign that she's getting old?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
You could go with Roberta (female form of Robert) or Alberta (feminine of Albert) but here are some other alternatives.

Let's hope that this is another case where an octopus makes me wrong. They do seem to counter some of the things I observe just after I note them. :fingerscrossed:

octobert

Cuttlefish
Registered
I accidentally found out what rock she was under yesterday, I saw one of the tentacles stick out.
Can I assume she uses the same rock every day? So I know where to put the food.

Missnano

O. vulgaris
Registered
I accidentally found out what rock she was under yesterday, I saw one of the tentacles stick out.
Can I assume she uses the same rock every day? So I know where to put the food.

Mine has one rock it favors since day two of being in his tank. I shine a light under there every morning to make sure he's under there just in case he escaped while I was sleeping. I'm paranoid. I'll offer him food but I have better success offering when he's out. I'll swing the crab his way and let go and he chases it, I think he likes the hunt.

As for the staying out during the day, my last octopus did this before it died but it did this every day before it died. So I'd worry if she keeps doing it. In my opinion, that is.

You can name her Bertha!

octobert

Cuttlefish
Registered
She's not "out during the day" so to speak. She's just out a lot longer than the first days. She was out until about 11 am today too. But the rest of the day the tank is basically dead.
Maybe it's just the time she likes to be active?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Different octos have different denning patterns. The female O. mercatoris (dwarf) I have had chose a den and almost never left (I fed them there so they rarely hunted) where the males all stayed a day or two in one place then move on to a varied selection of places. My larger octos seem to stay in one place for a week or more but have at least one alternate that they will gravitate to. With one female merc, I spotted her leaving her den for roughly an hour (but chose a location close by) so a serpent star could clean her den :biggrin2:.

octobert

Cuttlefish
Registered
I saw her in another place yesterday, so all bets are off on which place she's at now.
She was active until about 11 am today too.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
What, how much and how often is she eating? What color is she displaying? I would love to have this one (or any) negate what I have observed from only two of them.

octobert

Cuttlefish
Registered
She eats about 1-2 blue clams (Mytilus edulis) everyday. Today she ate 1 clam and a piece of squid.
She switches between dark red and white/pale turquoise. I think I scared her today, she turned from the white/pale turquoise to dark red with white spots.
When she sleeps she's mostly turquoise as far as I can see, she's obviously pretty hidden so I can only see parts of her.
I actually got some quality time with her today, she was very active and at the end I got to see her dig out a cave under one of the rocks.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
The really attractive dark red with bright white spots does seem to be their startled look. I only saw it once or twice with Beldar and never with Puddles. It is kind of a shame it is a negative reaction because the coloration is very nice.

octobert

Cuttlefish
Registered
Today she got scared and inked a little. The cloud got about 2 cm and disappeared within 2 seconds.
I assume I don't need to do a water change because of that?

Sometimes when she gets scared (I believe) she turns white with dark spots. This is mostly when she gets surprised but not scared by something specific, like the lights gets turned on.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
The small puffs that rapidly dissipate are not much of a concern if there is enough water volume but it is best to try to remove any ink with a turkey baster and/or fine net. Their ink comes in two basic forms, one very thin and the other very mucusy. Much of the later can often be removed with a brine shrimp net (along with a water change). Do you have a protein skimmer (recommended) running on the tank? Skimmers will usually pickup most of the fine ink but heavy or thick inking definitely requires an immediate water change as it can clog their gills.

octobert

Cuttlefish
Registered
She's still acting like a clock, wakes up at 2am, goes to sleep at 11 am. But she hasen't eaten for two days now. She's not interested when I'm trying to feed her. Tried frozen shrimp, blue mussle and squid. Once I've given it to her and she ignores it, it feels like there's no point trying again that day. That lady knows what she wants.
Should I be concerned that she's not eaten for two days?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Continue to offer food but she may well be at the end of her natural life so be sure that even if she takes it, that she eats and not leaves it untouched to foul the tank.

octobert

Cuttlefish
Registered
I have a problem now... she has squeezed herself into the corner where the filter is. How do I get her out? What I can see from the camera, she's been there since she went to sleep yesterday.
If she gets behind the filter completely, she get's access to the pump which is not a good thing...

The loose tentacle in one of the pictures is food, and not hers.

Attachments

• 2017-04-14 11.06.15.jpg
    2017-04-14 11.06.15.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 71
  • 2017-04-14 11.06.29.jpg
    2017-04-14 11.06.29.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 68

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I would not attempt to pull her out. She is probably looking for a dark corner so you may be able to entice her out by adding an opaque black box (you'll need to use your imagination as to what you have that will work) in the opposite corner. When she had cleared the area, try wedging aquarium filter sponge to block the corner.

octobert

Cuttlefish
Registered
I managed to touch her a bit from the inside with a stick so she moved out on the right side by herself and in under a rock.
So everything's good now!