Dissertation Plan

cuttlegirl said:
Well, I guess you could always cuddle with a dead squid to keep warm...

aren't you supposed to do that with a cuddlefish?

Originally posted by Monty aren't you supposed to do that with a cuddlefish?

That I've done... (with a live cuttlefish of course) My cuttles used to live in a 8 foot diameter circular tank so I would swim with them when I had to clean their tank. If I stood on the bottom of the tank, they would come and cuddle under the arch of my foot. Very ticklish, but cute...

8' diameter tank... that's totally sweet! This wasn't in your living room or anything was it!? That's still pretty cool though. I wonder... could it be possible that cephs are affectionate? Hmmmm

Graeme

Originally posted by Graeme
8' diameter tank... that's totally sweet! This wasn't in your living room or anything was it!?

No, although I wish it was in my living room... I kept my little cuties behind-the-scenes at the Waikiki Aquarium while working on my master's degree. They did recognize me as opposed to any other staff members staring in their tank, although it was probably because I fed them most of the time...

Well, it wasn't all fun and games. Let's see... I usually rode my bike down a large mountain in the morning to feed the cuttles, then surfed, then got to my first class. Then in the afternoon I rode back down to and fed the cuttles again, surfed some more and then spent the wee hours in the lab... Then rode my bike up the mountain to the house I was renting with two local guys who were always trying to feed me "Tako Poke" (raw octopus).

Ugh! I dunno how you managed it... (laying on the sarcasm ever so thick):lol:

Waikiki Aquarium, eh? I "borrowed" a few pieces of info on Nautiluses from the website there. :wink: Good stuff! I was also in contact with Richard Young from the University of Hawaii. Does he have anythign to do with the Aquarium at all?

Graeme

cuttlegirl said:
Well, it wasn't all fun and games. Let's see... I usually rode my bike down a large mountain in the morning to feed the cuttles, then surfed, then got to my first class. Then in the afternoon I rode back down to and fed the cuttles again, surfed some more and then spent the wee hours in the lab... Then rode my bike up the mountain to the house I was renting with two local guys who were always trying to feed me "Tako Poke" (raw octopus).
Damn however did you survive?

Got to say that is the way to go to school. It reminds me of the classes I took many years ago at Indian River CC, 8 am calculus, 10 am windsurfing in the Indian River with manatees, seaturtles, and the occasional alligator. Lunch at the Dodgers training camp, back to class and on good days a night shuttle launch watched from my boat on the banana river (lights up the whole sky).

As I said, it wasn't all fun and games... I had some difficulty with my advisor (had to find a new one after a year...long story, can't give any details, let's just say it was really yucky...). My other advisor was really supportive but she was a malacologist (at least she still studied mollusks... but I was pretty much on my own). Other than being poor (I know most graduate students are poor, but the cost of living in Hawaii is really high), I had a great time.

Originally posted by Graeme I was also in contact with Richard Young from the University of Hawaii. Does he have anythign to do with the Aquarium at all?

He is retired from the University of Hawaii now (in 2001). He was in the department of Oceanography (my masters is from the Zoology department). I don't think he was affiliated with the aquarium but I am not sure.

Originally posted by Bathypol the best part about Hawaii, if you're broke, you can live outside on the beach....

Yeah, except you have to trip over all those tourists...:yuck:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back