Dissertation Plan

Yeah, in one city, they banned smoking in all places that kids could go, so they made even some doughnut shops restricted to kids....I mean, c'mon!

Personally, I get all stuffed up with smoke, so I'm thrilled at the no smoking....

An old man falling and hitting his head is not the smoking bans fault, they bar should look at if he slipped on something...that's far more likely.

I'm a 'rather heavy' smoker, and enjoy going to a bar where people don't smoke too. Mind you, I do like a bar with an outdoor area where you can smoke, and think that it is over the top for airports to have closed down their smoking lounges! With a requirement to now check in 2hrs before departure (due to increased security), a long-haul flight and then the LONG wait at the other end with customs, security and baggage clearance, I've seen some pretty ratty smokers at airports (and been one myself!).

Bring back smoking lounges at airports!!!

When they started talking about a smoking ban for bars in my hometown I was somewhat ambivalent--I had always avoided bars because of the smoke, but on the other hand I figured let the smokers have one last bastion. I still don't go to bars often, but I enjoy it much more without having my clothes smelling like smoke.

I am perfectly fine with the idea of smoking lounges as long as they're not only in different rooms, but also on different ventilation systems. I was in PA a couple weeks ago where smoking hasn't been banned in restaurants. I had forgotten how pointless it is to have smoking vs non-smoking sections. Even the foyer of the Olive Garden smelled like an ashtray.

I have nothing against smokers--we all make individual choices about our health and it would be no better than hating people who don't exercise or who use Rio pumps. I want smokers to be able to be happy and smoke as long as they do so in a way that doesn't affect me.

Dan

Second hand smoke gives me asthma so I'm pleased if I can go to a restaurant and not have to leave early, or suffer the consequences. I like breathing. Breathing is good!

In my hometown, before the smoking ban, I remember this one restaurant that had the smoking section in the front of the restaurant and you had to walk through it to get to the non-smoking section....real bright.

As for the smoking lounges in airports...totally agree with DHyslop....keep them (helps keep people calm and not so tense) but well ventillated...that way, everyone wins.....smokers can get their nicotine fix and I'm not all stuffy and swollen from the smoke :biggrin2:

I'd like to read it if you don't mind. And if you haven't finished yet, I'd suggest limiting your comparison of the different Ceph families to a specific morphological feature - suckers and arms; adaptation and function; anatomy and physiology, etc. Well, I'm probably joining in on this thing way too late, but here's my two cents anyway.
Buena suerte

Hey no problem, if you PM me your email address, I'll gladly send it. Yeah it's been handed in, about a month and a half now, and I've been getting some feedback on it. The head of department wouldn't elaborate, but he at least said he enjoyed reading it so I suppose that's OK, even if the whole thing turns out to be just a load of poppycock.
Oh, are you asking me or Bathypol? He's done a thesis as well, but I think it was for a PHd, or masters or something higher than mine.

Graeme

Hey Graeme,

First of all, I'm a she (......just for future reference :wink: )

and second, my thesis is for an Honours degree as well...but it has nothing to do with cephs unfortunately....just fish.

Glad you're getting good feedback from your profs...any time they say it was a good read, it's a good thing.

bathypol said:

"On the internet, no one knows if you're a squid..."

I have a friend who claims she can reliably guess a persons gender just by reading things they've written. I'm not sure if I'm envious of this skill, or bothered (I've also read that there appears to be an impact on how academic papers are peer-reviewed depending on whether the author's name is male, female, or just initials, which I think is awful enough to begin with, but the idea that someone can judge that based on writing style makes the anonymous review process sound like it doesn't solve that issue, either...)

Steve,

Not again! Remember this is not a supporter's thread...

Attachments

• conv_288974.jpg
    conv_288974.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 81
bathypol said:
Hey Graeme,

and second, my thesis is for an Honours degree as well...but it has nothing to do with cephs unfortunately....just fish.

Glad you're getting good feedback from your profs...any time they say it was a good read, it's a good thing.

Oh, bum. I'm so sorry. Well I had to say something, I couldn't just say "it". :biggrin2:

I thought you were doing a pHD or somthing! Just by what you said previously what you were doing seemed way more advanced and complercaterd than mines.

Graeme

Hey Graeme,

No worries...if I had been really upset, I'd have started calling you a she! :wink:

Are you planning on going on to grad school after you're done this degree?

I dunno. I kind of want to work a bit, earn some money, and maybe get some of this student debt worked off. I did think about contacting Steve about possible doctorates, but I've been speaking to this guy who works for a documentary company, Natural History New Zealand or something, who said that they have a proper full-time board of biologists who research for the progs! I would love to do that, so if I was able to work for these guys and do a doctorae as part of my job, then that would be just absolutely peachy! You thinking of going further?

Graeme

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back