Discussing the New Papers on Fossil Cephalopods

Wow, Kevin what a find, thank you!

An older paper but from a skim read absolutely fascinating. I'll add it to the 'papers' thread straight away.

:plectrono :earlynaut :thumbsup:

New Cretaceous Giant Squid

Tanabe, K., Hikida, Y., and Iba, Y., 2006, Two Coleoid Jaws from the Upper Cretaceous of Hokkaido, Japan, Journal of Paleontology, Vol. 80, No. 1, pp. 138-145

A new giant squid described from the Cretaceous of Japan Yezoteuthis giganteus about the same size as Architeuthis
based on the upper jaw dimensions

Merry Christmas

Thanks for this Kevin. I'd like to get hold of that paper so that I could update the Tusoteuthis article. It does not seem to be available on the net at the moment, but hopefully it will be in early 2006. I wonder if it is the same animal as Tusoteuthis? As far as I know no beaks of that other Cretaceous giant have been found, so I suppose it would be impossible to know for sure.

Have a good day today!

Thanks for that Kevin. I think the whole paper is available via the link too. Apologies to ask again, but is anyone able to help in obtaining a copy? Please pm me if one can.

It'd be good to update the Tusoteuthis article.

RE: Orientation of cephalopod shells in illustrations

Orientation of cephalopod shells in illustrations

Palaeontology 33 1990

Sven Stridsberg

I dont think many cephalopod workers bought into this. I dont think I have seen any recent papers showing shells in a life position. I know I was told (by a professional paleontologist) to illustrate the shells in the traditional, upside down, orientation. Of course I dont really follow any convention as you can see in the morphology article, most are upside down, but some are not. :razz:

Serious point.

Does anyone use the resource of papers linked to in the 'New Papers on Fossil Cephalopods' forum?

I really don't mind tracking down papers if they are of interest and of use to readers. However, if no-one is using the resource, I've plenty of other things I could be getting on with. :smile:

Thanks bigGdelta.

bigGdelta said:
Phil, I usually read them though sometimes i need an interpreter.

You and me too!

bigGdelta said:
Just went to check them and got 404 error.

That's odd. I've checked most of them in the last month or so to see if the links are still active. Maybe you have problems with your service provider? If there are any particular papers you are having problems with, let me know and I'll see if I can find an alternative link or forward you a downloaded copy if I have one.

Cheers!

Phil said:
Serious point.

Does anyone use the resource of papers linked to in the 'New Papers on Fossil Cephalopods' forum?

I really don't mind tracking down papers if they are of interest and of use to readers. However, if no-one is using the resource, I've plenty of other things I could be getting on with. :smile:

Yes

Please post links to all 10,500,003 papers on fossil cephalopods that are or will be available on the web. :wink:

I think maybe just some of the ones that are pertinent to active threads, or that announce ground-breaking discoveries would suffice.

It looks like alot of museums are putting their old papers on the web for free download, maybe just a link to these sites search page would be OK.

Anyway, thanks for all your hard work on this Phil. :notworth: :notworth:

Re: above, thanks Kevin!

Architeuthoceras said:
Tanabe, K., Hikida, Y., and Iba, Y., 2006, Two Coleoid Jaws from the Upper Cretaceous of Hokkaido, Japan, Journal of Paleontology, Vol. 80, No. 1, pp. 138-145

The abstract is as follows:

TWO COLEOID JAWS FROM THE UPPER CRETACEOUS OF HOKKAIDO, JAPAN
Issn: 0022-3360 Journal: Journal of Paleontology Volume: 80 Issue: 1 Pages: 138-145
Authors: TANABE, KAZUSHIGE, HIKIDA, YOSHINORI, IBA, YASUHIRO
DOI: 10.1666/0022-3360(2006)080[0138:TCJFTU]2.0.CO;2

ABSTRACT

Two isolated cephalopod jaws recovered from the middle Turonian of the Obira area and the Campanian of the Nakagawa area, Hokkaido, Japan, consist of short outer, and large and posteriorly elongated inner “chitinous” lamellae, with a sharply pointed rostrum in the outer lamella. These features are common with the upper jaws of Recent cephalopods. Comparison with the upper jaws of ammonoids and Recent cephalopods indicates that the two Cretaceous upper jaws are attributed to the Coleoidea other than the Octopodida. This assignment is also suggested by the cladistic analysis of the Nakagawa specimen compared with five upper jaw characters on 22 Recent cephalopod species. The Obira specimen differs from the Nakagawa specimen in having a much smaller jaw and a larger jaw angle, but its order-level assignment could not be determined because of imperfect preservation. The Nakagawa specimen shares several common features with the upper jaws of Recent Oegopsina; thus we assigned its higher systematic position to this suborder. Based on the extremely large upper jaw (97 mm maximum length), a new genus and species (Yezoteuthis giganteus) is proposed. This new taxon would have been as large as the modern giant squid Architeuthis, which commonly exceeds more than 5 m in body length. Our study postulates that studies of jaws are important to reconstruct the phylogeny of the Coleoidea.

Is anyone able to help with obtaining the article? If so, please drop me a line.

It's available here.

Thanks!

Originally posted by PhilDoes anyone use the resource of papers linked to in the 'New Papers on Fossil Cephalopods' forum?

I do read them until I get :bonk: , but sometimes they make me feel like I've lost too many brain cells to ever understand another scientific paper.

Please keep posting them, thanks.

Phil said:
Thanks for that Kevin. I think the whole paper is available via the link too. Apologies to ask again, but is anyone able to help in obtaining a copy? Please pm me if one can.

It'd be good to update the Tusoteuthis article.

Scratch this, thanks to Monty I have a copy. Thank you sir.

cuttlegirl said:
I do read them until I get :bugout: , but sometimes they make me feel like I've lost too many brain cells to ever understand another scientific paper.

To be honest, I often just have a stab at the Abstract and Conclusions/Summary to get the gist and only try to understand he rest if it particularly interests me. You should see some of the papers I've stumbled across and NOT linked to, endless equations and ammonoid suture algebra. Yikes!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back