Discussing the New Papers on Fossil Cephalopods

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Wow, Kevin what a find, thank you!

An older paper but from a skim read absolutely fascinating. I'll add it to the 'papers' thread straight away.

:plectrono :earlynaut :thumbsup:

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
New Cretaceous Giant Squid

Tanabe, K., Hikida, Y., and Iba, Y., 2006, Two Coleoid Jaws from the Upper Cretaceous of Hokkaido, Japan, Journal of Paleontology, Vol. 80, No. 1, pp. 138-145

A new giant squid described from the Cretaceous of Japan Yezoteuthis giganteus about the same size as Architeuthis
based on the upper jaw dimensions

Merry Christmas

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Thanks for this Kevin. I'd like to get hold of that paper so that I could update the Tusoteuthis article. It does not seem to be available on the net at the moment, but hopefully it will be in early 2006. I wonder if it is the same animal as Tusoteuthis? As far as I know no beaks of that other Cretaceous giant have been found, so I suppose it would be impossible to know for sure.

Have a good day today!

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Thanks for that Kevin. I think the whole paper is available via the link too. Apologies to ask again, but is anyone able to help in obtaining a copy? Please pm me if one can.

It'd be good to update the Tusoteuthis article.

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
RE: Orientation of cephalopod shells in illustrations

Orientation of cephalopod shells in illustrations

Palaeontology 33 1990

Sven Stridsberg

I dont think many cephalopod workers bought into this. I dont think I have seen any recent papers showing shells in a life position. I know I was told (by a professional paleontologist) to illustrate the shells in the traditional, upside down, orientation. Of course I dont really follow any convention as you can see in the morphology article, most are upside down, but some are not. :razz:

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Serious point.

Does anyone use the resource of papers linked to in the 'New Papers on Fossil Cephalopods' forum?

I really don't mind tracking down papers if they are of interest and of use to readers. However, if no-one is using the resource, I've plenty of other things I could be getting on with. :smile:

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Thanks bigGdelta.

bigGdelta said:
Phil, I usually read them though sometimes i need an interpreter.

You and me too!

bigGdelta said:
Just went to check them and got 404 error.

That's odd. I've checked most of them in the last month or so to see if the links are still active. Maybe you have problems with your service provider? If there are any particular papers you are having problems with, let me know and I'll see if I can find an alternative link or forward you a downloaded copy if I have one.

Cheers!