• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks, like Site Search. Follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Dining List

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Anyhow have you ever looked at the parasites these guys can carry????? YEUCH! & yes I have my steak very well done (I've seen the parasites in that too!!) I reckon anyone eating live/raw WHOLE octopus or squid is just asking for a bout of Anisakiasis (due to the fact that many cephs are secondary hosts for a nasty little nematode called Anisakis simplex). This is apart from the moral debate over eating live food!

Cheers

jean

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Interesting post Michael, and welcome to TONMO.com!

You said:
When people eat fresh beef, pork, or chicken flesh or organs, in some sense the food is still living, and this is a normal practice all over the world, so I don't see what is so unusual or problematic about the octopus case.
Somehow I don't equate eating a burger off the grill with eating a writhing octopus that is actually having thoughts and feeling pain as I crush it with my teeth. :yuck: That said, to each his own, I always say. I myself wouldn't eat a living octopus. Well, I wouldn't eat a dead, raw octopus either, just because I really can't imagine I'd like it ("but how will you know if you never try??" -- "I'll take my chances..." :lol:)

And as far as octopuses eating living food themselves... I suspect they do that out of necessity. Now, if an octopus could cook, I would guess they would opt to eat cooked food. Case in point. :roflmao:

sharpcuda

Cuttlefish
Registered
:notworth: :notworth: :notworth: :sun: Thank you both STEVE and TONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As if you were not both my personal hero's before!!!!!!!!!!!!
And as for you Mike well; I think you chose the worst place to talk about enjoying octopus as a food source. Sorry.
We here at Tonmo talk about saving this species as a whole. We love and adore are octopus and squid and don't much care to talk about serving them up for dinner!!! We come here to learn and share! :yelling:
You must have really sought this thread out to explain how beautiful it is to eat them live... since you could tell I was simply sick about it. There is no need!!!! Not knocking other cultures...but still keep this stuff to yourself!! Sorry to all but I believe I speak for a few of us here. If I am wrong let me know!! Do not want to cause problems!!! Just not cool with the previous comment. Thanks again Steve and Tony!!! You both ROCK!!! :mrgreen:

Jean said:
Anyhow have you ever looked at the parasites these guys can carry????? YEUCH! & yes I have my steak very well done (I've seen the parasites in that too!!) I reckon anyone eating live/raw WHOLE octopus or squid is just asking for a bout of Anisakiasis (due to the fact that many cephs are secondary hosts for a nasty little nematode called Anisakis simplex). This is apart from the moral debate over eating live food!

Cheers

jean
Hiya Jean --

I've "been there" too (re Anisakis worms). A few years ago, I went to a local fish store to buy a couple of catfish fillets, with the intention of seasoning and steaming them for dinner. Now since catfish are farmed, the likelihood of them carrying parasites is very remote. However, the counter guy -- whose first language was obviously not English -- must have thought I said "codfish", and when I came home and unwrapped the fillets, I realized his error.

OK, no big deal, I thought, I'll steam them anyway. But as I began to cut up the fillets for steaming, I noticed some red thread-like lines embedded in the flesh. Thinking they were capillaries of some sort, I kept on cutting the fillets -- until I noticed that those red lines were squirming.

End of story, those fillets with the "little extras" were rapidly returned to the fish store, and I opted for a refund rather than an exchange! I realize that the cooking process would have killed the Anisakis, but still, just the thought of it permanently put me off raw fish sushi as well as codfish in any form.

I still love other kinds of cooked fish, and when I go for sushi I get it either vegetarian or sautéed (e.g., unaju). I also stay away from ceviche in Mexican and South American restaurants, as even though the citrus juice makes the seafood look and taste cooked, it does not kill any parasites.

A word to the wise -- listen to Jean, she knows whereof she speaks!

Alive and cookin',
Tani

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
had a pleasant surprise this evening.... here in the nether regions, i found calamari perfectly fried!! (twasnt too perfect, the marinara seemed to be industrial pizza sauce :bonk: )

light breading, well but not over seasoned, barely crunchy, virtually no springiness to the meat....

who wouldve thunk?

:thumbsup:

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Almost as funny as Kapoc...hehe.
I hate it when they put that canned sauce over something so well done...spoils it.
Personally, I would eat a poodle in sauce without hesitation...ate dogs quite often in central america, a local specialty. Snakes too, even though I love the critters...they make good fritters too! (sorry, had to)
I certainly can't imagine eating an octo every day though...that is too much of one flavour for me. Cheeseburgers perhaps, but even they get old quick...
Had deep fried cat once...yuchh. Too gamey for me.
greg the omnivore

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
My Boss just came back from Singapore (where incidentally she was totally entranced with the cuttlefish exhibit!) and she brought me a present of lemon flavoured cuttlefish! Well I opened the bag and the smell was indescribable.....:yuck: but the dog absolutely loves them!!!!!

J

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
While i was down in Charleston (SC) this past weekend i found a competent but overpriced calamari and rock shrimp appetizer at Hank's (otherwise a very nice place to eat) and another mediocre one at Vickery's... the second one gets me.... the menu said it comes with a wasabi marmalade... (definitely too sweet to accompany fried food in retrospect) however there didnt seem to be ANY wasabi in the marmalade... the waitress said they had to cut back since people thought it was too hot.... but on the other hand the jalapeno mayo they put on my crabcake sandwich had a nice touch of heat to it, so im thinking theyre just discriminating against wasabi.... :frown:

There's a lot of squid eaten in Thailand, and one good dish is squid larb. The squid is minced with chilis and lime and mint, mmm. I was surprised to see "spandid squid" on menus, rather than just squid. Other meat, fish and occasionally veg are also prepared this way. If I find a good recipe, I'll post it.

Melissa

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blam

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak