• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crytpo!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Diego - O. bimaculoides

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Now I need to come up with another puzzle before he gets bored with this one so he does not go back to disrupting his tank :biggrin2:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
The corals are doing very well but they are all hardy softies. The sponge did not survive but I have tried a couple of barrel sponges over the years and this one lasted the longest but still did not make it. Even the gorgonian seems to be happy with the temperature and LED lighting. The leather is very old (I have had it at least 4 years and it was from a friends tank that had not had new things added in several years) and was not doing well in the large tank. It looks better than it has in a very long time. There is also a serpent star in the tank that does not seem to have had any issues with the temperature. All in all, a good experiment with 71 degrees (thermostat set at 70 but the tank stays at a consistent 71).

Diego's growth rate has definitely slowed and for now, the tank seems to be acceptable but I may still need to move him to the larger tank in the fall. He can still swim a little but the shape and rockwork give him lots of climbing opporutnity. We are experimenting with him allowing me to pull him around the tank - where he holds my finger and I move him from one side to the other. He is not quite sure if he likes this or not. He does not release my finger but will only release the rock of walls for a few seconds.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Diego sounds like a fun octopus, very interactive. Love the photos with the Legos.

Nancy

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Probably the best video I have ever taken :biggrin2: but I have to admit the subject was being very cooperative!. All three wanted to play for long periods tonight. That strikes me as odd and I wonder why. This includes the new little abdopus who should not be ready to interact.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Eye problem

About 10 days ago Diego started acting kind of shy and was not as active as normal. He would come to eat but not play and stayed in the dark most of the time. From his den peeking out I noticed he was not opening his right eye. A day or two later I notice the eye was staying flat while the left would be raised. He would open it just a little when he came to eat and I saw a white spot on the lens. The spot could have been/be some kind of parasite but with the eye stalk staying flat (possibly swollen) I decided to treat with Tetracycline. I have used it successfully on two infections in otherwise healthy octopuses, once with an eye infection and once with a swollen arm section. Without any real guidelines, I give it for 10 days with the thought that the animal infected is not the target and 10 days has been recommended to kill bacteria in humans. In the last two successful uses, evidence of recovery came at about day 5. With Diego I saw an improvement at day 3 and at day 6 his eye and behavior appear normal but I can still see a fading white spot on the eye. Unfortunately, I could not get a photo of the symptoms but you can see in yesterday's photo that both eye stalks are raised (the left may be just slightly fatter but I could not get a left side picture to compare and to the naked eye they look the same) and I think he will fully recover.

I don't think it had anything to do with the eye problem but also this week the flower anemone that was in the tank before Diego mysteriously released from the rock and was sitting on the sand. I never saw Diego touch the flower but it was directly over (without blocking) his den. I have seen two senescent O.hummelincki pull very insistently on mushrooms that blocked free access to passage and I am guessing Diego pulled up the flower. I was uncomfortable with the flower in the tank (low sting but I have seen reaction and don't mix them intentionally) so the flower was reacclimated to the nano temps and seems to have settled in.

Attachments

• conv_298578.jpg
    conv_298578.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 103
  • conv_298579.jpg
    conv_298579.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 103
Thanks for the info. It's good to have options if our animals ever get an infection. How much Tetracycline did you add per day, and to what water volume?

Since this happened during the hottest time of the year, I wonder if water temp could be a factor. What's the water temp, and has it changed in recent months?

Fish antibiotics and human antibiotics are identical. Though be careful with tetracycline and all cycline meds as they go bad a lot faster that others and become toxic. Most antibiotics (with proper storage) can last 10-15 years (based on the study the government did when they started requiring expiration dates on meds).

My husband and I stock them up so we have some on hand in case of hurricanes and other disasters. During hurricane Ike we were with out power and all doctors office were closed for 3 weeks- could have been a bad time if someone had gotten sick. That could prevent us from being able to get to a doctor should one be needed.

If you buy the tetracycline as fish meds then on the side of the bottles it tells you how to apply it ie how many pills per gallon.

IMPORTANT- this is based on 250 mg pills.
Directions: Add contents of capsule to aquarium water at the rate of 1 per 10 gals. Repeat in 24 hours. Continue treatment for 5-10 days.

Here is one site that sells them. http://www.kvsupply.com/KVVet/produ...&Tree=,Fish Health&refcode=Froogle&URLCheck=1

Latest Posts