Devils advocate or just plain ignorant?

Re Talley, I just have to post this (found online)

Attachments

• conv_290927.jpg
    conv_290927.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 60
I love seafood and there is no perfect way of determining what types of seafood is better to eat than others. The Monterey Bay Aquarium began a Seafood Watch program detailing the 'safest' fish to eat based on collection method and sustainability as well as the fish to 'avoid' based upon the same criteria. Obviously, the safe fish of today could probably end up being the fish to avoid to tomorrow (funny how everything is cyclic). It is a good start though. Since the fishing industry is a multi-billion? dollar industry, the only way of lessening the strain on the ocean is educating the consumers. If certain parts of the world choose not to order shark fin soup, the demand is no more, and thus there is no money in shark finning. A very difficult task to accomplish but it is not impossible. Fishermen will continue to fish and earn money for their families however they need to. And on and on...

Greg

ob;91937 said:
What can I eat? Harvesting wheat kills tens of thousands of field mice, growing lentils takes up valuable habitat, now lost to insects and small mammals. Wild fruits and nuts only? (Please pass on my apologies a priori to my friends the fruitbats)

Soylent green anyone? :wink:

Talley's in the news again, this time for sexual discrimination and inequity in pay.

They must be spending a fortune on lawyers!

:smile:

gjbarord;96126 said:
If certain parts of the world choose not to order shark fin soup, the demand is no more, and thus there is no money in shark finning. A very difficult task to accomplish but it is not impossible. Fishermen will continue to fish and earn money for their families however they need to. And on and on...

Greg

There are a couple of other ways for fisherman to use their skills to earn money too though. A program on sharks in the meditteranean was showing fisherman that were paid just to collect and tag gulper sharks. Supposedly these sharks are good to eat. I don't eat seafood dont ask me. The point of this was so that the next season, when they went fishing for gulper sharks to sell for food, the ones they pulled up that were tagged were measured and thrown back as opposed to sold and eaten. This was good in two ways because it helped research those glowing eyed sharks, and kept some of them that were tagged ( and probably mature and able to reproduce) from being killed. And I am so sure that the whole shark is eaten too. Just another quick note, I do not pretend to know more about anybody on ANY subject, but I am afraid of what is happening in our oceans, At this point it is pretty widely accepted that life began in the oceans, would it be illogical to assume that what lives in it should be very highly regarded?? How much food do we all throw away everyday?? the book of useless imformation says that the average human consume 6 elephants worth of food in a lifetime, 60,000 pounds. Really?? Is that how much we actually eat or is that how much we put on our plates?

I think the green peace is being a bit too violent, but don't get me wrong they are doing the right thing. Shouldn't there be "blue peace" dealing with this?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back