• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Developed an interest

Blitz

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi all :smile:

A few hours ago I watched a video of an octopus eating a shark and was quite facinated by how clever the octopus was for managing to pull it off. I then started looking around the internet for various pieces of information about octopus's. I came across this site and saw video's of them looking really quite cute and wondered what it would be like having them as a pet.

I am certain this forum is probably USA based and I am from the UK, so I don't know if anyone will know the answer to this but I will give it a go. Does anyone know of any places online in the UK which sell's octopus's and equipment?

Thanks in advanced :smile:

Hi and welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

We are a US-based site but have members all over the world. My co-moderator for Ceph Care lives in Scotland, so yes, we should be able to get you some answers.

Nancy

Hi Blitz

There are not any online shops i know of in the UK that are selling octopuses but the main importers of marine fish in the UK quite often have them.

Best bet is to find an aquarium shop near you that has marine fish and find out if they buy from TMC. You should be able to order an octopus that way without too much hassle. It can be a bit trickier getting the exact species you want but it is possible.

Any good aquarium shop will be able to provide you with all equipment.

Where do you live? I maybe know shops near you

cheers
Colin

I live in a town called Grantham, which is in a county called Lincolnshire :smile:

At the moment its just an 'out of interest' type thing since I don't have the money to pay for one at the moment (though I am actively seeking employment), I don't have anywhere to put a tank at the moment, and my Mum and sister probably wouldn't like it :razz:

Meaning for the not so distant future it seems unlikely, however, I doubt I will lose interest and I will continue researching equipment cost, running cost and various bits and bobs about it.

Blitz said:
Meaning for the not so distant future it seems unlikely, however, I doubt I will lose interest and I will continue researching equipment cost, running cost and various bits and bobs about it.
Well then welcome to TONMO.com! Use the Search function for our forums, or just browse. You really should be able to find all the info you need right here. If not, just ask -- we have the people with the answers. :smile:
:welcome:

:welcome: Blitz

Blitz said:
and my Mum and sister probably wouldn't like it :razz:

Don't be too sure about that! Anyway you could prepare the ground......take them to an aquarium and wax lyrical about the octopus....how clever it is....how shy it is.......what devoted mothers they are..........etc etc

J

The most akward part of it would perhaps be breaking the news. In the UK (possibly the same in America but Im not sure) the most common pets are cats and dogs so it would be quite akward to simply say 'I would like to buy an octopus'. :wink:

There is also the matter of where to get them from, since Octopets seems to be the most popular place but due to it being overseas, I run the risk of the octopus getting stressed and will also likely have a large shipping cost.

However, yesterday and today combined I have spent about 6 hours checking out this forum and other places like 'the reef central' so I certainly have an interest in them :smile:.

Blitz said:
The most akward part of it would perhaps be breaking the news. In the UK (possibly the same in America but Im not sure) the most common pets are cats and dogs so it would be quite akward to simply say 'I would like to buy an octopus'. :wink:

Ah yes but what fun!!!

I'm in NZ, so there can be a plethora of odd pets......maybe that counts for something, I know people who've had pet possums, lizards, snails (I'm NOT kidding!), hedgehogs (well that was me actually....& I've had a pet rat too), weta's, roaches ( :yuck: ), slaters (wood louse) etc etc......so octopus are really not that strange!

J

If someone was to question me as to why I would like a pet Octopus, I could simply say 'well, they are more interesting than fish!'. :smile:

Hi Blitz,

You might consider keeping a local octopus. A quick look around the net indicates that Eledone cirrhosa lives in your waters and Octopus vulgaris either lives there or is a frequent visitor (Is the ocean getting warmer around the British Isles?]

O. vulgaris is probably too big for a home aquarium but E. cirrhosa should be feasible for a tank in the 300 to 400 liter range. The hard part will be cooling the thing. I don't know much about your area but I assume that your water is fairly cold and it would require a chiller for you to maintain the right temp.

Take a look around the British Marine Life Study Society web-site for more information and inspiration about keeping your local animals:
British Marine Life Study Society

You can find more info about Eledone cirrhosa here:
http://www.marlin.ac.uk/species/Eledonecirrhosa.htm

Locally yours,

Alex

Hey Blitz personally I would rather have a Vulgaris over a Bimac - from what I have read here they seem very interactive.

I dunno for sure but I would imagine that getting a bimac would be virtually impossible - the logistics of shipping and possibly the legaility?

Feelers said:
Hey Blitz personally I would rather have a Vulgaris over a Bimac - from what I have read here they seem very interactive.

I dunno for sure but I would imagine that getting a bimac would be virtually impossible - the logistics of shipping and possibly the legaility?

Hopefully Colin could think of some people who would provide Bimac's. By the way, would there be anyone able to make a short video clip of their own Bimac - certainly preferably a younger one (due to smaller size) so that when the time is right, I can show my parents.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back