• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Detrivores

chrono_war01 said:
Hm....hope you plan works. Stalingrad of the saltwater tank, eh? Battle to the very last plant cell.

We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Dan

Hi
Looks like some sort of diatom alage, it often happens in new tanks and should go in time.. it looks unsightly but will dissapear once it has used up whatever nutrients it is using just now.

I'd be tempted to put the photoperiod back to what it was and let it run its course... If you still have bother in a couple of weeks check the silicate level. But in my experience it wont last long

Cheers

DHyslop said:
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Dan

That is if we can find something to fight with. ( Picks up bottle cap)
Aha, a weapon of mass destruction! :twisted:

Colin said:
Hi
Looks like some sort of diatom alage, it often happens in new tanks and should go in time.. it looks unsightly but will dissapear once it has used up whatever nutrients it is using just now.

I'd be tempted to put the photoperiod back to what it was and let it run its course... If you still have bother in a couple of weeks check the silicate level. But in my experience it wont last long

Cheers

Hi Colin,

When the tank was only a few weeks old I had a big invasion of stuff that was a pure brown color that has since disappeared over the months--I figured those were diatoms and this wasn't.

Update: I've been culling the red hairy stuff every day, and Wednesday I put down some ulva over the the worst areas (weighted down with a couple strategically-placed rocks). Since then, my red regrowth has been dramatically slower, and if I weed it out again it certainly won't be on a daily basis.

About an inch of gracillaria came in the bag with the ulva. Its about three inches now! :smile:

Dan

werid, i don't have any thing from the sea and it keep appearing!
( Like everthing's sythetic( or whatever you spell it) sea water, fish, clay decorations and stuff.

...it could could come in with the water from when you buy fish or even as pores floating around in the air........

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back