• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

desperately looking for a cuttlefish

I'm looking for a dwarf cuttlefish...i've tried all the links on tonmo.com's page, all of my lfs's, and hours of google searching to try and locate a reputable dealer...if anyone knows of a way for me to obtain a healthy dwarf, or some healthy dwarf eggs, please please let me know. I've been cycling my tank for 3 months+ and couldn't be more excited and ready to have a cuttlefish.

don't all jump up at one time now...lol.

I actually finally got in touch with fishsupply.com, they said they might have some available soon, does anyone know if their cuttlefish are sepia bandensis? or if their cuttlefish are good quality?

No ones really offering many suggestions because honestly there is no reliable source for sepia bandensis. Most people that have them found a limited source or just plain lucked out. However, right now, there is a place that may have eggs still in florida called aquatropics.

Ive not heard of fishsupply.com having bandensis. You should ask them for sure if its not officianalis which is the most common cuttlefish found for retail. Officianalis are super fun cuttles, but require a much different environment...

Paradox said:
Ive not heard of fishsupply.com having bandensis. You should ask them for sure if its not officianalis which is the most common cuttlefish found for retail. Officianalis are super fun cuttles, but require a much different environment...

Ha! Gee whiz, I wonder where Fish Supply get any of their cuttles...

Dan

yeah...me too...that's why I asked...lol. If they say the whole "i'm not sure what kind it is" deal, it's more than likely the officianalis, am I safe to assume that?

Up until now, just about all of Fish Supply's cuttles came from Octopets. As we speak, people (myself included) are in a state of panic because Octopets has gone out of business.

Octopets had supplied them with captive-bred bimacs, tank-raised officianalis, and were about to begin supplying captive-bred bandensis. From conversations TONMO'ers have had with Fish Supply, they don't even seem to be aware of this, they think they're going to get a shipment in a few weeks to a few months.

What it basically means is if you want bandensis eggs, you're going to have to sit tight, be real patient, and hope you're first in line if someone gets some eggs.

Dan

i may (god willing) have eggs in about 5 months. aquatropics was the link that i sent you, but i dont know if they have any left. i would send you one of my babies if i only have more, but as i only have six left, and plan to breed in the future, i cant spare any.

that's okay, i couldn't ask you to part with your own, but I really do appreciate the thought. I just wish this was an easier hobby to get in to! Maybe i'll luck out and someone will find a new supplier, or find eggs somewhat near me (maryland-dc-virginia) Thanks for the help everyone!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back