Deaths of dozens of squid that washed ashore in BC likely natural ... - The Canadian

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff

[SIZE=-2]The Westerly[/SIZE]

Deaths of dozens of squid that washed ashore in BC likely natural ...
[SIZE=-1]The Canadian Press[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]TOFINO, BC â?? Dozens of so-called jumbo squid have washed ashore along Vancouver Island beaches in recent weeks, although a local biologist thinks their ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Holy calamari! Squid stranded on Vancouver Island[SIZE=-1]Vancouver Sun[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]What Killed Squid: Local Biologist Explains[SIZE=-1]Westcoaster[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]all 7 news articles »[/SIZE]

More...

I desperately want to work on identifying stomach contents of Humboldt squid in BC using molecular techniques for my fourth year project for university, but I'm landlocked in Ontario and couldn't get out to BC until possibly later this month. Does anyone live in BC who would be able to/want to save the stomachs out of as many Humboldt squid they find for me?

If you do I'll make you a pie or cookies or something!

Anyone know if there are any theories as to why these squid has mass die offs? Is it post mating season deaths or something else?

Hi Heather,

Try contacting the Vancouver Aquarium or even DFO Pacific and see if anyone is looking into this. They may be able to collect some stomachs for you. I beleive there is a researcher at UBC working with cephalopods (GPO if I remember correctly), you could try them as well. I'm a 3 day drive away and am up to my ears in my own squid, otherwise I'd totally go and see what I could find :smile:

Hi Bathypol! I was able to contact biologist Josie Osborne of the Raincoast Education Society and she said she would freeze squid stomachs for me! I am so excited!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back