• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Death To Anemones!!!

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Well, chrono, you're closer than you think. I've read of people using lemon juice!

You have to be very careful about what you put into your tank. I'm going to try some of Joe's Juice for my rock anemone in the overflow. I don't think I'd use it if I had an octo in my tank.

Nancy

Joe's Juice is widely available in reefkeeping stores/circles. About 10 bucks USD for a small bottle. Used to use it all the time myself in my reeftank until we picked up a fish (copperbanded butterfly) that is an anemone/aiptasia predator. Although I've no experience with octopii--I'm just here researching and contemplating the possibility--I doubt you'd want a CBB fish in an octopus tank, though! Very expensive snack for the octy...

oscar

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
i Have heard of many people using calcium paste but most people who try plain boiling water agree that it is about the same - i personally went a bit over the top - took the rock out of water , got a lighter and burnt it - looking back it wasnt very humane and i feel kinda bad... the reason i did that was cos they kept retracting into their holes when i got close...hmmmm

but hey no anemones left (except my nice big rosebud!)

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
and some people will chew chewing gum until the flavour has gone, poke the aiptasia into its hole and then press in the chewing gum like a plug!

If its only one of two aips, you can place small stones on them, they will then climb onto the stone and when it does jut remove aip and stone to torture device of your choosing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conor Henry

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak