• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cycling new octo tank

lawfish

GPO
Registered
Hey,
After much research and helpful hints on this board, I have begun my octo setup. I Have a 55 gal tank, protein skimmer, 50 lbs live rock and live sand. I also have a DIY wet/dry filter. I used a 20 gal tank as the sump and built my own bio-tower (includes carbon filtration) from acrylic. (still a little woozy from the fumes) :shock:
Anywho, I was wondering what the best method of cycling the tank would be. I don't want to use damsels b/c I read a post here which said that they would harrass the octo. Any suggestions as to which fish might be best or should I just "feed the tank" ?
Also, can one put two Bimacs in a 55 gal tank or will they fight? Thanks in advance!!!!

Hi Lawfish,

Glad to see you got things moving nicely and I always try to build as much as I can myself too! Good job, not so expensive either!

The last tank i set up I used 6 mollies. Just the run of the mill black mollies sold in a LFS for fresh water. Put them in a bucket or bowl and syphon water into the bowl from the tank. Use airline or similar and do this over an hour or two until they are in full sea water then put them in your tank. Never put the water from a LFSs into your tank!!!! They may have used a copper based mediction in their water!!!!!

The mollies I have went from fresh to marine and then back to fresh in a 2 month period and are happily swimming about in my FW tank just now. The female had babies too. Mollies can naturally go from fresh to marine conditions no problem!

In a 55 i would add probably 10 mollies.

You may be able to keep two bimac together but you may not. Not enough information is available at this stage. My attempt lasted about a week or so with 2 small babies. I do beleive that one of them was in poor condition after shipping though an dmay not have been killed by the other.

For a first time round I would stick to just one. You'll have your hands full enough with one anyway LOLOL

Colin

Thanks Colin!
I will go with the Mollies and stick to just one Bimac. (For now :twisted: ). I agree regarding DIY projects but must say that I learned a valuable lesson with this one. Plan it out in advance!!! it saves many false starts not to mention $$. Helpful note: a "Rotozipper" is not the best tool for cutting acrylic as my bloody and swollen hands can attest.
I intend on keeping a journal of the set up - hardware, water parameters etc. - and introduction of my Octo. Maybe I can then, someday, return the favor by helping someone else as you have helped me. Cheers!

Thanks Colin!
I will go with the Mollies and stick to just one Bimac. (For now :twisted: ). I agree regarding DIY projects but must say that I learned a valuable lesson with this one. Plan it out in advance!!! it saves many false starts not to mention $$. Helpful note: a "Rotozipper" is not the best tool for cutting acrylic as my bloody and swollen hands can attest.
I intend on keeping a journal of the set up - hardware, water parameters etc. - and introduction of my Octo. Maybe I can then, someday, return the favor by helping someone else as you have helped me. Cheers!

Hi Guys,

Of the octopus species I've kept, bimacs are the most tolerant of social conditions, and I think it'd be fine to keep two in a 55 gal aquarium- as long as they are:

1: almost the same size
2: well fed
3: There are plenty of hiding places and "den sites"

Keeping two or more octos in the same tank will expose you to some really interesting behaviors and color changes! Don't try it with anything but bimacs though!

Another great way to cycle your tank is to get a lobster or some live crabs from the market. That way you can celebrate when your tank is cycled. :biggrin2:

Cheers, Jimbo

Thanks for the info on 2 bimacs

Cephjedi, thanks for the infor regarding housing bimacs together. Also, Colin, thanks for bringing up previous medications. While my 55 gal tank has never been medicated, I realized that the 20 gal tank that I intended to use as a sump had previously been used as a hospital tank. It was a while ago but, based on your advice, I decided to play it safe and got a new tank for the sump.

yep, always better to be safe than sorry!!!

What's your timescale on your project???

C

Time scale on my project

Well,
I have the bio-tower and sump completed. And I just recently finished breaking down and cleaning the 55 gal tank. (I didn't realize how much I was going to miss my Pirahna, I've had those guys for three years) I've got the live sand (very fine grain) in and hope to get the live rock this weekend. I also threw a aquaclear 300 on the tank temporarily for the added mechanical and chemical filtration. . .
And then come the Mollies and the long wait until its ceph-ready. I intend to replace the Seaclone skimmer with a DIY within the next week or so (still finalizing my "blueprints"). I'm thinking of a 4" diameter x 36" high counter current which I will run, via pump, out of the sump. I may even get creative and have the skimmer return run through additional carbon filtration. What do you think? Any advice that would make my setup more ceph freindly would be much appreciated. I'll keep you posted as I progress. I also Intend to post the plans for my DIY bio-tower/sump and skimmer on my web page when I get the chance. :biggrin2:

Excellent! :biggrin2:

Well, i would say that the more you can put into the sump the better, all of the heaters, carbon and skimmer etc. The return from skimmer into carbon works well for me :smile:

I'll be interested to see how your DIY skimmer works out. I have it in mind to extend my AquaMedic 5000 from 4 feet tall to six feet tall in the near future for a BIG venture I am about to go into with marine set ups. I'll let you know how that goes too!

Just think 'will the bugger get through this gap?' and you will do great :roflmao:

C

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back