cuttles and clams thread

hobogato

O. vulgaris
Registered
i am eagerly awaiting the arrival of two three month old S. bandensis tomorrow. they will be living in a 50 gallon clam tank that is plumbed into my 240 gallon display tank.

here are some pics of the 240
front
DSC02000.jpg

DSC02001.jpg

back
DSC02005.jpg

the filtration
DSC01993.jpg

here is the clam and cuttle tank from the front
DSC01988.jpg

here it is from the top after adding some rock and macro algae in preparation for the cuttles
DSC02006.jpg

DSC02007.jpg

DSC02008.jpg

here are some live shore shrimp that a friend brought me from the coast yesterday
DSC02009.jpg

DSC02010.jpg

DSC02013.jpg

thank you to everyone who has posted information and articles here, i have been reading lots lately. until finding this site, i never thought i would be able to keep these incredible animals :smile:

To quick questions to ask here,

Who did you get these from, if you don't mind me asking?
and
Your clam/cuttle tank looks like you can only see what's in it by looking through the top, and all of the sides are covered with wood, is this correct? If so, you may want to rethink what tank you use, cuttles like to view their surroundings and to know what's going on around them which they can't do in a tank like that, you would also be able to see and interact with the cuttles easier with a "see through" tank. I say this because cephs are probably the only aquarium animal that can be considered "pets" because they like to interact with you. These are just suggestions, not "musts". And congadulations on your new pets, I look forward to the day when I can make this post.

Oh yeah, and :welcome:

i am getting them from shipposhack.

you are correct, the tank is only viewable from the top. i have had other things in the tank with personality (lion fish) that interacted well thru the top viewing window, so i dont think it will be a big issue. if it turns out to be an issue, i can always mod the front of the table by putting in a viewing window there as well.

L8 2 RISE;114431 said:
To quick questions to ask here,

Who did you get these from, if you don't mind me asking?
and
Your clam/cuttle tank looks like you can only see what's in it by looking through the top, and all of the sides are covered with wood, is this correct? If so, you may want to rethink what tank you use, cuttles like to view their surroundings and to know what's going on around them which they can't do in a tank like that, you would also be able to see and interact with the cuttles easier with a "see through" tank. I say this because cephs are probably the only aquarium animal that can be considered "pets" because they like to interact with you. These are just suggestions, not "musts". And congadulations on your new pets, I look forward to the day when I can make this post.

Oh yeah, and :welcome:

I don't know about any of that. :smile:
Lots of fish interact with people the same way cuttles do - my young bangaiis come over to the front of the tank when they see me enter
the room just like cuttles do, as do my fish in my reef tank.
If the tank is in a busy space, viewing only from the top may actually be better for the cuttles as not to startle them.

:biggrin2:

:goofysca: ok... I guess Ill swallow my words, sorry, as I said, I havent kept cuttles yet, but hope to. Im just speaking through impressions others have given me. as for the "pet" part, i meant more of the playing with you, go fetch, tug'o'war type pet. I know that fish do have personality, but don't listen to me, sorry again. :silenced:

ice reef my friend. I wish I had the money (and stability) to keep a reef like that right now. Congrats, looks great.
:biggrin2:

I always prefered a tank for my cuttles that I could see into from any angle, but that is personal preference. You can see them interacting in a much more personal matter that way.

thanks for the comments :smile:

Paradox;114444 said:
...So are your lights on the clam/cuttle tank on the side?

the lights are inside the top, hidden by the wooden frame around the top. the whole top opens up. ill get you a pic when i get home from work.

last night, i built this acrylic tank and cabinet (havent finished the molding yet) to house the live shrimp i will be keeping to feed them. it will be plumbed into the sump/fuge on christy's 180 gallon lps display.
tank - it is 16"x16"x16" or about 18 gallons.
DSC02016.jpg

installed in cabinet
DSC02018.jpg

the cuttles arrived this morning - one male and one female, 3.5 months old
here they are floating
DSC02019.jpg

here they are just after release - sorry for the pic quality, only actincs on here
DSC02020.jpg

DSC02021.jpg

here is the more active one this afternoon, the other one is hiding under a rock ledge
PDRM3500.jpg

here is a quick video

yep, i built everything on that system except the 240 gallon display tank. it is kindof a play on the old coffee table fish tank idea from the 70's, only it has all the filtration of the sps reef. the table is made to match our other living room furniture, and some people who visit never even see that it is a fish tank until i point it out - even when they are sitting right next to it :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back