• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Cuttlefish Raising- Looking for advice

pkilian

Wonderpus
Staff member
That's unfortunate to hear that she passed. If she was from a research lab there may be a chance that her genetic background could be the cause for egg laying issues, but it really depends on how in-bred their populations were. I haven't experienced wonky egg laying until about the 4th or 5th generation, and some species can breed up until about the 8th or 9th generation before things start to get a bit weird. Having small or distorted eggs and strange laying behavior could be a sign that she was a bit too genetically stunted, or the eggs could have never been fertile to start.

I wouldn't worry too much about your alkalinity if the rest of the critters in your tank seem to be happy. My school of thought is to not play with the water chemistry too much if the animals seem to be behaving normally and you aren't seeing any weird behaviors or early deaths. It can be easy to throw other parameters off by trying to fuss with one, and often can be more of a hassle than its worth. pH, temperature, nitrogen levels and salinity are the largest factors when it comes to ceph health, and yours all seem very good.

KD5054

Wonderpus
Registered
That's unfortunate to hear that she passed. If she was from a research lab there may be a chance that her genetic background could be the cause for egg laying issues, but it really depends on how in-bred their populations were. I haven't experienced wonky egg laying until about the 4th or 5th generation, and some species can breed up until about the 8th or 9th generation before things start to get a bit weird. Having small or distorted eggs and strange laying behavior could be a sign that she was a bit too genetically stunted, or the eggs could have never been fertile to start.

I wouldn't worry too much about your alkalinity if the rest of the critters in your tank seem to be happy. My school of thought is to not play with the water chemistry too much if the animals seem to be behaving normally and you aren't seeing any weird behaviors or early deaths. It can be easy to throw other parameters off by trying to fuss with one, and often can be more of a hassle than its worth. pH, temperature, nitrogen levels and salinity are the largest factors when it comes to ceph health, and yours all seem very good.
This is encouraging to hear! It was sad to see her go and it is with any of my ceph charges. But she lived her fill year almost exactly.
Not giving up!

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHF8

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak