• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

cuttlefish questions

okay, I don't plan on an urchin I was just curious because I like coralline algae and that would probably be most of the color+the zoas I'll have in the tank......

anyway where does everyone get their liverock, in my reef I have plain fiji and don't like it that much is there any other rock I can get with cool colors/shapes? and I was going to have the rock built up on both sides of the tank leaving the middle open, is this a good idea?

thanks for all the help!

can't believe I didn't ask this before, but instead of bombarding you guys with constant questions can anyone recommend a good ceph book that has good info on cuttlefish? thanks!

There are no books out yet about cephs in captivity. There are however some with general information on different species.

Different localities of live rock have different coralline and can be different shapes. They will all have efficient amounts of bacteria and critters to properly cycle and maintain an aquarium.

I get mine from my LFS because you can pick out the pieces you want and you don't have to pay the lavish shipping charges. We have Tonga and Fiji, but in my tank all I have is Fiji.

oohhh bummer.... I read the articles and read some things online, but realy doesn't seem to be much on ceph captivity, and I hate relying on bugging you guys 24/7 for questions I have? any good sites you guys can recommend would be great...

and my LFS charges like 7$ per pound of fiji LR = /

Yes, live rock can be very expensive.

Often reef people sell some on craiglist for much cheaper. You can also use dead rock and use some live rock to seed it. The dead rock will become live eventually.

shipposhack;115380 said:
There are no books out yet about cephs in captivity.

It's coming though!!! Nancy & Colin (ceph care moderators) are writing one and I think it's due out soon (as in next few months or so)!!!! :biggrin2: :notworth:

Nancy said:
Coming this fall to your local bookstore:

Cephalopods: Octopuses and Cuttlefish in the Home Aquarium
By Colin Dunlop and Nancy King (Colin and Nancy on TONMO.com)

Published by TFH, around 230 pages, 120+ color photos

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back