• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

cuttlefish questions

L8 2 RISE;115110 said:
no one really knows for sure, but from what I have read here on tonmo, cephs dont like bright light that much, so just to play it safe, if you are going to get corals, get ones that dont need any special lighting.

Yep, that is the party line, but you cant really generalize all cephs, even more so than you can't generalize cuttles. It depends on species and where they come from. Any diurnal, warm water ceph should be able to take any light that is on wild reefs and our bulbs don't really come close to matching that.
In other words, its best to figure out the ceph you want, and build a tank, including lighting, for that animal. This really goes for any marine ornamental. This problem is people want to put everything in one tank, so they kindo look the other way at the whole issue.

well I've only heard of three types of cuttlefish and the only one that doesn't take a 200g+ tank seems to be the bandesis, so that is what I was planning on.... and I don't want to add anything that will harm the cuttle....

Excellent! We are at a step change in the size of the ceph keeping population and I am hopeful that we can quelch many of the easy answer quasi generalizations that have plagued the reefing community for the past 10 years. :biggrin2:

does anyone keep SPS/clams with their cuttles? supposedly they are safe to keep together, but the problem is that cuttles can be too messy of eaters for the more sensitive corals/clams to handle?

alright very stupid question ahead so be prepared.....

I plan on calling my LFS one of these days to order a tank to get started.... anyway what should I exactly ask them I want done with the tank.....by this I mean like overflows and drilling or w/e it may be, I don't know too much about "reef-ready" tanks because I rushed into my reef and never actually set up a sump or refugium, which just makes it extra work for me to clean, but besides that yeah can anyone help me with this?

also some more questions....

My plan is to get the 3month old cuttles, how often do these guys need fed?

and.... where does everyone put their powerheads in the tank? I'd imagine cuttles could easily get sucked in?

jamest0o0;115185 said:
well, I can always get PC lighting, get some zoas and see how it goes from there :smile:

I have kept Zoas, shrooms, and clams in a 30 gallon hex with a single bandensis on two seperate occasions and they have all been fine. The only problem is that I have a small metal halide, and the cuttle only comes out when only the LEDs are on, otherwise he hides in the rockwork due to the brightness.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back