• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttlefish problem: Weak/uncoordinated strike

Rich, they've been under the lights the entire time (about 6" from a 150wMH and 2x24w T-5s). Over the holidays I left the MH on about 8-10 hours/day instead of the usual 4-6. There really is nothing else that has changed with the tank other than the lighting schedule.

Do captive cuttles normally ever refuse food for a day or two?

I would be hesitant to say it was the lights without further data. I suppose it possible, but there are several people keeping cuttles under MH. We really don't know too much about this species, so it could be anything, even something developmental. I guess if you wanted you could leave the lights alone and see if they eat with it on in a day or two.

The do sometimes seem to go off their food and then back on. :biggrin2:

Good news, all three cuttles are now eating. The third has a straight stike but was still missing the shrimp. Eventually he just grabbed it with his arms instead. What really worried me about this entire thing was that abnormal, sweeping strike all three exhibited.

I'm having a problem with some nasty caulerpa taking over as well so I'm going to move all of the softies/zoas into my main reef and just go with the two actinic T-5s for the cuttles.

Thanks for all of your help everyone! This is a great forum and I've learned a lot in the past few months.

Mike

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back