Cuttlefish on the Eastern Seaboard

JohnW

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Howdy all, my daughter recently caught a wild cuttlefish in the tidal pools at Myrtle Beach, SC. (I have 3 poor pictures). My research, so far, showed that there were only 2 types - one in England and one off Hawaii. Are there native east coast species, and, if so, what are they?

its a squid we(i live in charleston) have a small species of squid that is usually pink to clear and only gets about 3 inches in lenth. i dont know the name but a friend of mine could tell you. anyway i go flounder gigging alot around charleston and i see them all the time. im impressed you were able to catch one, ive been trying for years and they are always too fast for me to catch

Upvote 0
gjbarord;100289 said:
I am going to have to go with the brief squid, Loliguncuela brevis, also known as the bay squid in my neck of the woods. The coloration and shape seem to be identical.

Greg

http://www.chesapeakebay.net/info/brief_squid.cfm does show some pics that are pretty similar in patterning. I was thinking the fins go all the way along the mantle in the mystery squid, which seems different, but maybe I just can't see them well enough...

edit: nevermind; I was seeing the square at the bottom of the container as the fins... :bonk:

Upvote 0
Ok, I will definitely check up on the squids. Like to know what the one is from Charleston. To catch one, check the tidle pools after midnight. She used a kids generic net. Aprreciate the help. Goes towards science projects in school.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back