Cuttlefish on the Eastern Seaboard

JohnW

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Howdy all, my daughter recently caught a wild cuttlefish in the tidal pools at Myrtle Beach, SC. (I have 3 poor pictures). My research, so far, showed that there were only 2 types - one in England and one off Hawaii. Are there native east coast species, and, if so, what are they?

gjbarord

Sepia elegans
Staff member
I am going to have to go with the brief squid, Loliguncuela brevis, also known as the bay squid in my neck of the woods. The coloration and shape seem to be identical.

Greg

Upvote 0

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
gjbarord;100289 said:
I am going to have to go with the brief squid, Loliguncuela brevis, also known as the bay squid in my neck of the woods. The coloration and shape seem to be identical.

Greg

http://www.chesapeakebay.net/info/brief_squid.cfm does show some pics that are pretty similar in patterning. I was thinking the fins go all the way along the mantle in the mystery squid, which seems different, but maybe I just can't see them well enough...

edit: nevermind; I was seeing the square at the bottom of the container as the fins... :bonk:

Upvote 0
As Greg stated I am almost possitive that it is a Lolliguncula brevis which is found from the Gulf of Mexico and up the East Coast. They can get up to about 4-5inches long. It would not be uncommon to find them near shore.

Upvote 0

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
:oops: on the bad spelling.....

but tis one of the 2 susprcts (the third being obviously different)....

Upvote 0

JohnW

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Ok, I will definitely check up on the squids. Like to know what the one is from Charleston. To catch one, check the tidle pools after midnight. She used a kids generic net. Aprreciate the help. Goes towards science projects in school.

Upvote 0