• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttlefish in a pool!

Bob the kracken;97666 said:
at the resteraunts i've been to they are generally served boiled or fried with only the tentacles. (no mantle accept for the siphon which they included)

I don't believe that's the siphon. The rings in fried calamari are from the mantle.

Brock Fluharty;97691 said:
I didn't mean "him", but rather most people.

Brock, I have a problem using "correct" or proper English when discussing issues with people. One of my best friends gets really irritated when I say "You wouldn't/would" (meaning "a person wouldn't/would") so I know what you intended to say, but yes, try and correct yourself so as to get out of that bad habit.

Out of curiosity I actually tried an Octopus Roll about an hour ago at a Sushi Bar. It was only a slice of an arm, about 4 inches long. Thin, like a potato peal, with some suckers on it. I must say it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. The creature now served me as nourishment. Purpose. Not thrown into some curious but less than capable hobbyists fish tank to die a tragic meaningless death.

As for another part of this discussion, I will wrap a spider up in a paper towel and release it outside. I will walk around ants on the sidewalk if I'm paying attention. This might seem like odd behavior to some, but I feel that all living things serve a purpose be it fungus, bacteria, banana or cuttlefish, and I prefer to make as little impact on the world around me as possible.

Keeping an animal for entertainment, be it genuine desire to observe and interact, is very much different from placing it in an unfit environment just for the sh*ts and giggles of your guests, later to be discarded.

That's just my take on the topic. Agree or disagree, we all have our own free will, but we also must take into consideration the impact of our actions on the world around us, and the influence our actions have on swaying the future decisions of others around us.

Done.

Brock Fluharty;97691 said:
I didn't mean "him", but rather most people.

I wish you had said that. :biggrin2:

If you had, I still would have disagreed. Most people wouldn't say a thing to someone stomping a cat, generally because people don't want the attention of someone who would do such a thing turned to them (but there are other reasons as well).

Animal Mother;97694 said:
As for another part of this discussion, I will wrap a spider up in a paper towel and release it outside. I will walk around ants on the sidewalk if I'm paying attention. This might seem like odd behavior to some, but I feel that all living things serve a purpose be it fungus, bacteria, banana or cuttlefish, and I prefer to make as little impact on the world around me as possible.

I feel/do the same. :biggrin2:

Keeping an animal for entertainment, be it genuine desire to observe and interact, is very much different from placing it in an unfit environment just for the sh*ts and giggles of your guests, later to be discarded.

That's just my take on the topic. Agree or disagree, we all have our own free will, but we also must take into consideration the impact of our actions on the world around us, and the influence our actions have on swaying the future decisions of others around us.

Done

Thats the interesting part of this discussion! I don't think it is that cut and dry. I'd love to explore it more, its the ethics addict in me, but some people don't enjoy that kind of conversation (even more so over the internet). The 'done' suggests to me that you might feel that way (which is fine!), so out of respect I'll drop it unless I hear from you.

I apologize to any whom I may have offended. I should have corrected myself sooner!

I agree with you Animal Mother and Thales, but I would most certainly say something to someone stomping a cat, even if others wouldn't. That is irrelevant though, but just saying...:smile:

I wouldn't because if they are stomping on a cat they will probably be in a bad mood (I would hope), but I would mention it to whomever I am with. I do consider myself pretty shy though. If I felt up to it I would call the cops or something about it.

Thales;97699 said:
Animal Mother;97694 said:
I feel/do the same. :biggrin2:

Thats the interesting part of this discussion! I don't think it is that cut and dry. I'd love to explore it more, its the ethics addict in me, but some people don't enjoy that kind of conversation (even more so over the internet). The 'done' suggests to me that you might feel that way (which is fine!), so out of respect I'll drop it unless I hear from you.

Well, perhaps we can start with a persons motivation. Then intention. Then the final result of the involved action/s. Tons of factors go into a persons code of ethics and all the gray area between "wrong" and "right". I don't want to force any of my ideas down anyones throat, but at the same time I feel responsible for defending what I feel is "right".

For example. I respect you deeply for being able to take care of Fontanelle regardless of the reputation for the species. From my perspective you made an educated, mature decision because you have done your homework and you are in a position to contribute the necessary care involved. You took a chance but your knowledge, competence and commitment have paid off.

Some other people will go into that situation more blindly and less informed, and/or less capable as well, and when the animal dies, they likely won't have a clue why. Or they will possibly disregard all warning and dive in, with full understanding of what they're getting into all the while knowing or denying the fact that they don't have the necessary means of successfully doing such. "But hey, oh well, I'll just buy another one..." is all too often the attitude too many people have. Whether that's wrong or right is up to the person making that call I suppose. Conviction.

I personally break it down to "do unto others" and that rule applies to animals too.

Brock Fluharty;97709 said:
I apologize to any whom I may have offended. I should have corrected myself sooner!

I agree with you Animal Mother and Thales, but I would most certainly say something to someone stomping a cat, even if others wouldn't. That is irrelevant though, but just saying...:smile:

I would most likely stomp the person stomping the cat. Unless the person explained the cat was rabid and attacking them. Then hey, defend yourself by all means.

If you can't tell I'm not tolerant of mistreating others, especially animals.

Thats why I find intent to be a sticky idea.
If we go on intent, the treatment of animals in factory farming is ok, the treatment of animals in regular farming is ok, eating brains from a living monkey is ok, and force feeding geese and cow calfs is ok all because we intend on using their bodies for nutrition. To connect back to the beginning of this thread, if the people at the pool party ate the cuttlefish at the end of the party, would people feel its treatment was justified?

i think that the major factor that determines how much we should consider the animal ethically is its intelligence. a plant or bacterium is inconsiquential because they have absolutely no inteligence (just stimulus and response), but something even as inteligent as a worm should not be tortured. then again you would have to take into account what killing or torturing one "inconsequential" animal would have on another animal. sadly though as was posted before. most cultures vew our tentacled friends as tasty snacks and desposable mindless creatures not capable of pain.

I have eaten so many exotic meats. Alligator, Buffulo, venisin. but i would never condemn any of those animals to a slow, stressful death.

I guess my point is that no animal with a drop of intelligence or the capacity to feel pain should be tortured wether your going to eat them or not.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back